The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

What Causes Norns to Dance? [C1]

Venithil
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C2
Favorite Species: Norn

What Causes Norns to Dance? [C1]

Postby Venithil » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:15 pm

Answered

Type of Question: C1

Full Question: What actually causes the C1 Norns to dance? Was it ever discovered?
Details and Other Information: So, given that I have the Albian Years and good-old-freeware Docking Station to alter my Norn population with, I decided to branch out once the work on my breed of Norns for C2 was complete. I started a world deciding on an extremely narrow gene pool (basically, it plays out as a story with only two Norn parents to trace back all the later generation Norns to). When one of my female Norns reached adolescence, I believe, she entered a dance and just never really came out of it. After some time, I was tired, because while she would eat if food was placed right next to her, and stopped to play around with Norns, she barely ever traversed any sort of distances and her existence didn't seem to happy.

As I had some experience with the genetic kit already, I knew this could only mean a hidden dancing chemical was constantly leaked into the system, she had pose issues within her genetics, or she had a much too high half-life for dancing chemical. My last guess was correct as her dancing chemical's half-life was set to 255 (which is probably either infinity or interpreted as 248 by the game, making it 52 or so years IRL time). I am not normally a fan of removing debilitating mutations but it was seriously sad to see her waste her life away like that (she spend 75 minutes in a row dancing). Not only that, it wasn't a mutation, the gene actually came from her father, he simply never started to dance.

I lowered both of the Norns' half-life for Dancing chemical to a reasonable level (88, which translates to roughly 10 minutes I think). The quality of life for the girl has improved tremendously but she still gets stuck in a dance sometimes, but her father never even attempted a dance.

So my question is what actually causes the C1 Norns to dance? Was it ever discovered? I know Purple Mountain Hootch could, but it's not even present in my world (some other drinks are, though)? I'd like to know so I can limit the influence of the somewhat debilitating trait on my Norns. So far, she was the only one struck, but still!
Last edited by Jessica on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Archived an answered question
One day, all the weird mutant Norns, Ettins, and Grendels shall make themselves an X-Albians movie.
If you'd like to read a blog-style story of my Creatures playthroughs (including struggles with Creatures 2' "Smart" breeds [Canny, N. Subterra, Kannova], and my own genome) click Here!

If you'd like to check and download my work with the Kannova genome, click here!

Malkin
Everyday Egg

Re: What Causes Norns to Dance? [C1]

Postby Malkin » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:39 pm

Have you ever injected the Cave Fly into that world? It alters the pianola and jukebox to give all listeners purple mountain alcohol. The remover for the cave fly does not reset the pianola and jukebox scripts. A while ago, I wrote a tutorial on how to add chemicals to the C1 science kit, if you're interested in tracking the chemical, it might be useful.

Venithil
Busy Bee

Postby Venithil » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:26 am

I never injected that COB, however I am not using Albia as the base world (I read so many Discover Albia posts I felt like it just wouldn't have any novelty for me), so the pianola could already be altered in it. I'm using Monica Darwin's Darwinia and so far it's pretty effective in terms of keeping Norns alive so I'm unlikely to switch.

I'll try using your method to observe this chemical. Curiously, this particular young Norn is the only one whom I've seen dancing, although I confirmed none of her metabolic processes have been mutated to include chemical 80 / the 'dance' chemical in them. I haven't seen her near the pianola but something else might've caused the chemical's level to jump like that.
One day, all the weird mutant Norns, Ettins, and Grendels shall make themselves an X-Albians movie.
If you'd like to read a blog-style story of my Creatures playthroughs (including struggles with Creatures 2' "Smart" breeds [Canny, N. Subterra, Kannova], and my own genome) click Here!

If you'd like to check and download my work with the Kannova genome, click here!

Malkin
Everyday Egg

Postby Malkin » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:52 am

Have you ever tried the Smart Scriptorium Browser? It might be helpful in tracking down the source of the dancing chemical.

Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1

Postby Jessica » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:25 pm

Malkin's suggestion is a great one! I keep meaning to make a tutorial showing how well that program works... Anyways, this sounds like either a mutation, or a COB working in conjunction with an existing gene. What breed was the Norn who experienced this issue, and do you know if you were using an updated genome? The reason I ask is because some of the breeds include specific genes related to dancing. Others were basically devoid of the ability to dance except under specific circumstances.

The high half life might not actually be a mutation, since I seem to recall that this was the normal value for Norns who didn't have anything related to dancing in their genetics. Sounds like your fix made her life a lot better! Definitely keep an eye on chemical 80 using Malkin's suggestion and the scriptorium. Hopefully you'll find out more about what was the cause soon enough!

Venithil
Busy Bee

Postby Venithil » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:41 pm

I'm fairly certain I downloaded the updated genomes before starting the game. The Norn in question is a child of a 1st generation female Forest norn and 1st generation male Pixie Norn.

Like I said, the eternal dancing was already mostly identified and remedied, but I do need to monitor chemical 80 and check what actually causes it to spike up. Like I said before the high high life value was inherited from the Pixie dad, but has since been fixed to 88 or 48 in all of the norns present in the world so from now on any higher or lower values would be the mutation.

Malkin
Everyday Egg

Postby Malkin » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:13 am

I bet Forvika got her purple mountain alcohol half-life from Dagny. 8-)

Return to “Creatures 1 Help Archive”