The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

Several Serious Errors [DS]

Venithil
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C2
Favorite Species: Norn

Several Serious Errors [DS]

Postby Venithil » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:26 pm

Answered

Type of Question: DS
Version of Creatures: Freeware Docking Station

Full Question: Did anyone ever encounter something like this? What could be the problem?
Details and Other Information: *Sigh*... Because apparently as a rookie I need to have at least one topic for each of the games I actually play.

Word of clarification : This is the oldschool freeware Docking Station, undocked. Because I have some extra costs and the local exchange rate with euro and dollar is really bad, I'll only be able to consider buying the Exodus version sometime next year off GoG (unless there's a promotion or something). Anyhow.

[+] Error 1
Runtime error in agent 3 4 1 (Norn egg) script 3 4 1 9 unique id 483
Assertion failed
[inst lock {@}dbg: asrt game "c3_max_norns" > 0 dbg: a ...

The above error has been coming up in any new world I create in Docking Station whenever an egg is produced. I do not know what caused it, but apparently the only way I can fix it at the time is to use the cheat engine to increase the number of max creatures and max Norns. It works, I just wonder what could've caused the alteration - it wasn't fixed even with a reinstall.

Second problem is something I encountered with teleports while trying to create a world depending on connected metarooms. Using third party gate programs like the Torii (it in particular, as a matter of fact), along with in-the-room teleporters of the Nornhulu room seems to frequently return a bug that complains about the agent not being independent or something along those lines. Half of the time after clicking 'brutal ignore', the agent will work as intended. This bug seems to stop after a longer while (and after I switched from Torii to the Archway). Next time it happens I'll try to copypaste the exact information. Did anyone ever encounter something like this? What could be the problem?

The last thing is that after I finally managed to produce a world the way I wanted and made it work complete with CA links, I am now constantly getting this error seconds after load :

[+] error 3
CSE0001: Caught C-style structured exception at 0x0047ABF7

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
The thread attempted to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
Attempt was to write to address 0x2FA00000

Contained in: "public: virtual unsigned long __thiscall CompressedBitmap::SaveData(class MemoryMappedFile &)" in CompressedBitmap.obj
Contained in: "private: void __thiscall CreatureGallery::Part3CreatureBuilder(class Gallery * const,unsigned long)" in CreatureGallery.obj
Contained in: "public: class Gallery * __thiscall CreatureGallery::AddCompressedCreature(class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >,unsigned long,unsigned long,unsigned char,unsigned char,long * const,class Gallery * const,long)" in CreatureGallery.obj
Contained in: "public: class Gallery * __thiscall SharedGallery::CreateGallery(class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >,unsigned long,unsigned long,unsigned char,unsigned char,long * const,class CreatureGallery *,class Gallery * const,long,bool)" in SharedGallery.obj
Contained in: "public: bool __thiscall CreatureGallery::CreateGallery(class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >,unsigned long,unsigned long,unsigned char,unsigned char,long * const,class CreatureGallery *,long,bool)" in CreatureGallery.obj

The two notable things I did before this started coming up is using the cheat commands to kill quite a lot of agents after they managed to spread through a particular world overmuch, *and* getting a mixed breed Norn.
The Norn is a 2nd generation mix of Dream and Gargoyle Norns, with traits inherited from both. I never played with Dream norns before, so I don't know if they cause problems frequently, but Gargoyle norns were always very stable and consistently formed healthy and non-buggy mixes with the Beowulf norns in the past. From the error messages, it seems very likely this error is a result of this Norn being born - is it a frequent problem with Dream Norns, or is that merely me being out of luck with that particular hybrid? The room I used is Chione and for some reason Frost Norns don't work well for me Scratch that, re-installing both Magma and Frost Norns and starting with a Magma Norn egg to allow the images to unpack seems to have fixed it), so I wanted to try a different cold-adjusted Norn this time.

Thank you in advance for the help. I didn't get this many issues on my previous Docking Station installation, so this worries me. If the last issue is with Dream Norns, I'll just have to find a different set of Norns for a cold area and an underwater location.
Last edited by Jessica on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Archived an answered question
One day, all the weird mutant Norns, Ettins, and Grendels shall make themselves an X-Albians movie.
If you'd like to read a blog-style story of my Creatures playthroughs (including struggles with Creatures 2' "Smart" breeds [Canny, N. Subterra, Kannova], and my own genome) click Here!

If you'd like to check and download my work with the Kannova genome, click here!

SpaceShipRat
Everyday Egg

Re: Several Serious Errors [DS]

Postby SpaceShipRat » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:33 am

I'm not sure if that's the problem, but for 1, you have to set the max creatures at least 4 higher than the max norns, to make way for the two ettins and two grendels that c3 would try to hatch.

Venithil
Busy Bee

Postby Venithil » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:10 pm

Is there a way to set these numbers for all worlds (or to-be-created worlds) at once through the game's options or documents? Because this error keeps coming up in every world I create and to avoid it I have to use the Shift + Ctrl + C cheat menu and alter the max creature and norn numbers.

Ps. I was worried my game has problems with all hybrid Norns, but this time I could actually export and import Norns elsewhere without any trouble like the third one described. It seems very likely the last error was caused by me desperately trying to save my Chione world from being thoroughly overwhelmed with spreadable plants through the Kill Hots cheat option, leading to an eventual crash. As Chione is extremely vulnerable to such a thing happening and meant to be much more difficult to survive in in my world, I'll try using it one last time with more limited renewable food sources. Thankfully I just discovered Amaikokonut's Garden Box and the related Patch Plants so there is hope.
One day, all the weird mutant Norns, Ettins, and Grendels shall make themselves an X-Albians movie.
If you'd like to read a blog-style story of my Creatures playthroughs (including struggles with Creatures 2' "Smart" breeds [Canny, N. Subterra, Kannova], and my own genome) click Here!

If you'd like to check and download my work with the Kannova genome, click here!

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS
Favorite Game: C2

Postby Amaikokonut » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:13 am

Wow, that's kinda wild that you'd get that debug error. It seems to be checking that the c3_max_norns variable is more than 0, but I'll bet that variable was never set to begin with if you're running DS standalone. I can't actually find that exact line of code in DS-standalone at all. It is, however, present in the C3-standalone breeding script. Is it possible that you have a C3-standalone install that somehow mixed files with DS, or that you stuck a cosfile intended for C3-standalone in your bootstrap folder that is overriding the original egg scripts? Maybe an updated breeding script of some sort?

For a quick fix you might try making a file called "overrides.cos" or something similar in your Docking Station\Bootstrap\010 Docking Station\ folder, entering the same line(s) you put in the CAOS command line, ('setv game "c3_max_norns" 16' or whatnot) and saving it. Theoretically those parameters will then apply to all new worlds you create going forward (It won't affect existing worlds). It's more treating the symptoms than the actual problem but it might get you running at least, and if it causes more problems instead you can just delete or move the file.
Venithil wrote:...seems to frequently return a bug that complains about the agent not being independent or something along those lines
"MVSF only works on autonomous agents" maybe? Just a guess because I've never used the Torii specifically, but that's a very common error thrown by teleport agents if it tries to teleport a creature that is in a lift or other vehicle without checking first. Sadly there's not a lot you can do short of rewriting the agent to put in checks for that stuff, so if it continues to be a problem sadly the only thing I can recommend is to find a different teleporter agent.

That 3rd error can be the most frustrating. I think it often results from wonky body attachment issues so it makes sense that hybrids might raise the chances of it occurring, but sometimes I've had it occur in worlds with no creatures too; it's one of those sort of world-killing errors that can't always be easily traced to a source or prevented. I'm glad it hasn't happened again at least.

Anyway, let me know if any of this helps or just breaks; I'm a little rusty on this stuff so I hope I'm not misinforming you. Hopefully others will chime in too if I got something wrong.

Venithil
Busy Bee

Postby Venithil » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:32 am

I never had standalone C3 on my computer, but I do sometimes download agents that are supposed to work for C3 primarily just to check if I can use them (they do work once every, say, 5 times). Most of these aren't related to breeding (heck, I don't remember downloading anything related specifically to breeding itself except for the crossbreeding-enabler, but I did get some metaroom-related and egg-related agents) but maybe one of them is at fault, even if most of the egg-related ones I downloaded were meant for DS. I've tried the .cos file method and the newest world I created didn't need the cheat inputs so at least that is solved for now.

"MVSF only works on autonomous agents" maybe? Just a guess because I've never used the Torii specifically, but that's a very common error thrown by teleport agents if it tries to teleport a creature that is in a lift or other vehicle without checking first. Sadly there's not a lot you can do short of rewriting the agent to put in checks for that stuff, so if it continues to be a problem sadly the only thing I can recommend is to find a different teleporter agent.

Yes, that one is it. Notably this problem happened with particular frequency only in a certain room that wasn't very teleport-friendly in the first place for some reason... But I've switched to primarily depending on the Archways and Offline Warps/Portals now, the first of which only have the flaw of not being close-able and being significantly larger so I can't just fit them literally everywhere I want. Norns managed to use them, though, and they're less buggy, so that's okay.

That 3rd error can be the most frustrating. I think it often results from wonky body attachment issues so it makes sense that hybrids might raise the chances of it occurring, but sometimes I've had it occur in worlds with no creatures too; it's one of those sort of world-killing errors that can't always be easily traced to a source or prevented. I'm glad it hasn't happened again at least.

Anyway, let me know if any of this helps or just breaks; I'm a little rusty on this stuff so I hope I'm not misinforming you. Hopefully others will chime in too if I got something wrong.

It is possible the sprite issues were caused by either the Tiger Grendels or the Yettins, since it just happened in a world with only those two creatures. Yettins seem to have faulty tail coding where they'll often grab a tail from another Ettin slot; since I have deleted the Aqua Norns who lent themselves that tail in my last save, it could be that now Yettins, or at least Yettins imported from that world who used to have the tail, crash the game more frequently as my last attempt at reimporting to that world (... Of course it seems I forgot to make a backup before starting to import creatures...) also lead to a fairly quick crash. It's kind of a shame as Yettins really fit the rooms in that world concept I've had, but if I have to simply give up on that particular Ettin breed (or not import them and their descendants) I will. I'm reluctant to think it's simply hybrid sprite fault because in a different world the hybrid Norns worked quite fine, and on my previous installation Beowulf and Gargoyle Norns mixed flawlessly and never caused any problem, though of course different hybrids may cause problems more or less often.

... I'll also back up the world before any hybrids are born just in case, and may hold back on using the Dream Norns as their model does appear slightly different from the usual (though the Gargoyle Norn hybrid offspring with fluffy arms looked quite cute). It may also be that my Docking Station becomes unstable at a certain number of rooms (I've never run a world with 9 third party metarooms before, and were currently using both Chione *and* Aquatilis Caverna which are rather large rooms) So far my other, significantly smaller world was working well so there's hope I'll manage to have at least one 'themed' world.
Last edited by Venithil on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Venithil
Busy Bee

Postby Venithil » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:55 pm

I have identified the source of the third issue (or the primary instigator of it). Tiger Grendels. Either they do not run well on my computer, or they're an incomplete breed (likely the latter). Sadly, I had to remove Tiger Grendels from my worlds, which have all since run way past what seemed to be the inevitable until-crash time limit.

This means all the problems in this topic have been largely solved. I tested Yettins and Plague Ettins which happen to be hosted on the same website and they all appear to work relatively fine.

Tiger Grendels cause a failure/crash if an egg is generated where a child would have a hybrid appearance or if a pure Tiger Grendel reaches the adult age (they are stable until youth). Their genetics seem to make them efficient explorers but they settle in the desert areas easily.

If Tiger Grendels work on your computer, or you have the Dustdevil Grendels (who occupy the same sprite-slot) but are interested in broadening the genetics a little, please adopt :
Tiger Grendels. Make sure to back up your world just in case!

Gamora is a pure Tiger Grendel with no quirks.
Belsameth is pregnant at the time of export; if you can import her without cloning, it appears her pregnancy can be retained. The child is a Tiger-Maraquan hybrid.
Both Gamora and Belsameth were very prone to exploring when in my worlds. They seem to like the sun and hot climate.

Lamashtu is not a Tiger Grendel at all, she is a child created with the Inseminator. I managed to create a hybrid where the head appears to be Pyrite, most of the body appears to be Vampire and the tail or tail + legs appears to be Maraquan, which could make for an interesting combination both genetically and in terms of sprites.

Incidentally if you are in possession of Plague Ettins or any other breed that occupies Ettin C slot, you can also adopt these ettins.
Lempo is a Yettin - Xbreeder Ettin hybrid. Xbreeder Ettins show up as Plague Ettins on my computer because of the breed slots I have occupied, so she only has sprites of the breed C (which is Plague Ettins for me).

Surma is a Plague Ettin - Xbreeder Ettin hybrid child who appears to not require histamines to metabolize stuff (she shows up healthy and her food chemicals raised when she consumed stuff in the Contamination chamber), but some of her Plague genes may be dormant or will activate at a later age. She also uses C-only sprites.

For now it appears the problems were all solved! Thank you both for your help, SpaceShipRat, Amaikokonut.

Return to “Creatures 3 & Docking Station Help Archive”