The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

What Does This Update Do? [DS]

Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1
Favorite Species: Norn

What Does This Update Do? [DS]

Postby Jessica » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:12 am

Answered

Type of Question: DS
Version of Creatures: Creatures Exodus from GOG
Install Directory: My Documents
Operating System: Windows 7
Remastered Patch Installed: Yes
Error Message: There is a new version of Docking Station available on the server. The new version is "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C/DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">". Would you like to download and install it now? Note: Once started this update must complete before you can play the game again. If the download is interrupted, you can resume it at any time by restarting Docking Station.

Full Question: Whenever I start Docking Station, I get the message posted above. What is this?
Details and Other Information: Every time I start the game, this message pops up. The text looks a little strange, like the new version doesn't actually exist. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could explain what this is. Thanks!

Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1
Favorite Species: Norn

Re: What Does This Update Do? [DS]

Postby Jessica » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:16 am

The updater is an obsolete feature, and a new version does not actually exist. Choosing to install it may cause your game to crash or have problems, ultimately leading to a fresh reinstall. To get rid of the message for good, use the following instructions.

1. Right-click the DS game icon or shortcut and choose "Properties".
  2. Find the line for the "Target" which is usually on the opening screen.
  3. Scroll all the way to end of the target path, which should end in "InstallBlast.exe".
  4. Change the end of the path to "engine.exe".
  5. The path should look something like "Creatures\Creatures Exodus\Docking Station\engine.exe".
  6. Click "OK" and the game should now start up without the update message!
If you ever install this nonexistent update, it is highly recommended that you uninstall and reinstall to avoid any future issues.

Return to “Creatures 3 & Docking Station Help Archive”