The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

Share some early Creatures memories!

Talk about everything else Creatures!
Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS
Favorite Game: C2
Favorite Species: Norn

Share some early Creatures memories!

Postby Amaikokonut » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:58 am

I dunno about you all, but I always get crazy nostalgic for old Creatures times in the summer, probably because as a kid that was when I had the most time to play. So I was just wondering what old memories you all might have.

My first game was C2, and C2 vanilla, no less. You can only imagine how frustrating that was for a 13-year-old. I learned very quickly to rely on the science kits to keep my norns alive, rather than bothering to teach them to care for themselves, and eventually when I had access to COBS, just totally relying on a C2 version of the holodoc. I'm not sure how I put up with all the crashes and world corruptions; I think I just got used to having my heart broken a lot.

I also remember when C3 came out, I was both excited and frustrated because there was no way I was going to be able to afford it anytime soon. I tried to rationalize that maybe I wouldn't have to buy it, because some developer would simply port the entirety of C3 back into C2. My past self had some crazy faith.

I remember taking my first highschool biology class and being a little stunned at how much of norn biochemistry actually translated to reality. I had known it was based on real life but I didn't realize the extent until then. It gave me a whole new appreciation for the series.

I remember shortly after DS came out, I received a norn through the warp who died of unknown causes shortly after arrival. I then got a message from the owner explaining that they accidentally sent that norn, that it was their favorite and would I please send it back. I didn't have the heart to tell them.

Wow, okay, that was a little depressing. Hopefully you all have more positive memories to share!

Deskman
Everyday Egg
Favorite Species: Grendel

Re: Share some early Creatures memories!

Postby Deskman » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:07 pm

Well here is a story which may or may not be interesting but has always stuck in my mind.
When i bought the original creatures, the version which i had came with an instructional video.
It had a tutorial on how to play, it confused me greatly because it instructed the player to name individual items (as opposed to the categories such as "toy" and "food").

It wasn't until *much* later i found a pdf manual on the game file, which explained things proper, but before that it was really confusing to play.

C-Rex
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: C1

Postby C-Rex » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:27 pm

I got given Creatures 2 when it was given away with a newspaper but never got round to playing properly until September 2003 when I was 8 years old. I fondly remember asking my parents for Creatures 3 for my birthday and Christmas but unfortunately I never got it (we never bought much online back then). I downloaded a lot of COBs and visited a lot of websites, including Adventures in Nornsitting (Still up), Helen's Bibble Directory (not working) and Creatures 2 Obsession (went down years ago), but the following year having a phone line (we had dial-up) seemed unnecessary for my parents so we got rid of it and I never got the chance to integrate into the community until 2007 when I joined Creatures Caves.

Funnily enough, when I fired up the game back in 2003 I came across two norns that had been hatched in 1998, and I still remember naming them "Lucky" and "Happy". I wish I had bothered to keep copies of them.

Jessica
Discover Albia
Favorite Game: C1

Postby Jessica » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:48 pm

So many interesting stories and memories! Let me see what decently interesting memories I can share...

Creatures 1 was a birthday gift, and I still remember my excitement when I started reading the box. I think I was around 11 or 12 years old at the time and loved simulation games. Not that I was any good at them, but I enjoyed them! I remember being totally confused about what to do, and it was glorious. I asked for the Genetics Kit as a later gift because it wasn't always free... And talk about not knowing what anything meant! I managed to follow a tutorial to make a greenish Norn. That was my only success, yet it was awesome. My brother and I also played together, setting up worlds that would run overnight, and some that were setup on Christmas Eve so we could see what happened in the morning as a Christmas gift. If I remember correctly, this never worked because our computer would go into power saving mode and pause the world about 20 minutes after we left it. Ha ha! We still tried year after year, though, thinking it would work. Maybe I should try that this year...

Like Amai, I was also pretty amazed that some of my classes tied right into Creatures. I thought it was awesome that a game used real concepts and made them rather fun and interesting to learn about.

I also ended up with a copy of Creatures 2, complete with Fizzbee the Norndoll, but I don't remember having as good a time with the game. There were too many glitches, although to this day I still think that C2 has the most beautiful environment and music of the games. I also must have picked up Creatures 3 at some point... I have a CD version, yet all I really remember is trying to make connectable gadgets. No success! I also think I might have had a steady population of Bengal Norns at one time. Maybe?

There are many other memories of Creatures 1 I have, and because of that it will always remain very near and dear to my heart.

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS

Postby Amaikokonut » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:56 am

Deskman: Augh, that video is plenty nostalgic, adorable, and informative, but that one piece of misinformation in it does make me cringe. I always wonder how may potential long-term players were lost due to the frustration of trying to play the game that way.

C-Rex: Oh man, I remember getting so many C2 COBs from Helen's Bibble Directory! That was one of my favorite go sites back then! I remember Adventures in Nornsitting too. I should probably start a different thread about ancient nostalgic Creatures sites.

Jessica: Agh, the norndoll! I remember when I finally saved up enough money for C2, I went to order it online and there was an option to get it with or without the norndoll. I didn't have enough for the one with the norndoll, so I had to go without, and when the box arrived it even had the side box for the norndoll attached, but it had been opened and removed! I still don't understand why they would do that; what were they doing with these removed norndolls? I bemoaned not having a norndoll for years and years until finally I found one on ebay and bought it for like $8 or something.

DylanFrancis
Everyday Egg

Postby DylanFrancis » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:55 pm

Well, I was three when Creatures 1 released, and around 7 when I played it for myself, so I don't remember much. I remember we got it on a red CD-ROM packaged with a few other games in a bundle labeled "Brainfood Games".

Mostly what I remember is how heartbreaking I found it at the time when one of my norns would die. I wasn't really aware of how to properly care for the norns, so when they got sick it was pretty much over for them, so I had a lot of sad sessions of watching my norns' life force deplete and trying to spend as much time with them as I could before they passed.

SpaceShipRat
Everyday Egg

Postby SpaceShipRat » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:51 pm

One of the earliest memories is of being dreadfully worried about a tired norn which I couldn't get to sleep. I remember asking my parents for help, with little success, and eventually feeling really smart when I thought I could feed her Belladonna. I don't remember if it worked.

I used to open the Guide and re-read the effects of the various plants obsessively, it was the one page that made sense to me, among strange talk of chemicals, brains and genetics. I wonder if there's a way to browse that old MS guide now?

Venithil
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C2

Postby Venithil » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:19 am

This should be easy - ALL of my memories of the game are 'early'! :p
I learned about the game on TV tropes and after all other 'life/organism/populace simulators' I've tried failed to deliver in some manner or another, I decided to check out Creatures. Based on some screenshots, reviews, and short descriptions when I decided to get myself the Albian Years, I've decided that if I *could* run Creatures 2, it'd likely be the one I want. Thankfully the game so far is stable save for some minor lag when autosaving with 11+ creatures alive and, regrettably, import/export seems to almost always crash it, although the genomes of the individual Norns remain and I mostly can identify and read them.

My first memories are mixed with fascination with Norn crossbreeds and the gene splicing machine (education path did its job), and slow but steady progress in understanding their biochemistry, and... Well, frankly, I hoped they'd be a little smarter from the get go. Many little Norns are quite brilliant and quick on the uptake, but came close to ending their lives (or actually manage to do so...) through drowning the moment they get out of the first cave complex. The 'hour stupidity syndrome' I only begun to understand when larger populations happened, it mostly starts in norns 1.5-3.5 hours old for me, and focuses on them refusing to eat in favor of speaking their need endlessly or choosing a direction blocked off by the now irreplacable Electric Gates and ramming themselves into it. They still want to swim...Well, some of them, anyway!

I also quickly got into breeding Grendels (Bony & Winged Bulbous grendels, specifically), but they're even more intent on spending time slapping each other and bumping the electric gate than the Norns were. Although, with some intense one on one education, or by placing them away from water sources and with a source of food (such as on the bridge), they can actually form functioning small groups that breed and eat regularly. Recently I finally used the Gene Splicing Machine to produce a new Norn and a Grendel/Ettin hybrid (using a second generation Grendel), and with the help of a new egg and Etting Breeding COB I hope to add Ettin breeds to the merry mix! Lasting Frog Norns have helped create a population boom by introducing the norns of the opposite gender, too.

My most recent memory is in regards to one of the younger Norns in my current world, a Pixie / Frog / Gargoyle mix called Haland. His mother was a 2nd generation Frog crossbreed and his father was my unfortunate 7th generation favorite (Whose children were, at least of the hatched ones, all with a Frog female and all save for one had immense problems in childhood, resulting in a death of two). The little Haland seemed to never have a sad look on his face, but seemed unable to develop a decent Hunger drive (it stopped in roughly 15-20% of the meter), and as a result his Protein and Fat were at a consistently low level. He was in constant danger of dying and only my frequent injections (and a very rare meal) have stopped this from happening... It was difficult to let him go with his otherwise quite brilliant mind up to his adolescence stage and his constantly cheerful expression (well, he did get angry after the injections...), but thankfully the hunger genes have finally triggered at adolescence. Now he's being struck by the stupidity syndrome, although not as badly as one of my other Norns, but at least he got himself a Frog girl and an egg is on the way! And he can survive without my constant injections now, too.

... I'm now sitting on a sum of roughly 30 eggs from various Norns and Grendels, and the insertion of two more Frog girls and a pair of Ettins make it unlikely that this will decrease...
I think it's time to use the splicing machine and then let the remaining Grendels and Norns of the current generation go! I'll never be able to hatch 30 eggs... I swear I'm only using the 'smart' Norn genomes on my next world, too!

Sorry for the incredibly long post, but with 25 hours of play under my belt this week, my enthusiasm has a long way to go before dying out, still!
One day, all the weird mutant Norns, Ettins, and Grendels shall make themselves an X-Albians movie.
If you'd like to read a blog-style story of my Creatures playthroughs (including struggles with Creatures 2' "Smart" breeds [Canny, N. Subterra, Kannova], and my own genome) click Here!

If you'd like to check and download my work with the Kannova genome, click here!

Butterflye
Everyday Egg
Favorite Game: C1

Postby Butterflye » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:25 pm

I'm not entirely sure how I ended up with my first copy of Creatures tbh. All I know is somehow Creatures ended up in my life and I genuinely loved the game.
Like most people on here, I had no idea how to care for a norn at first and watching their wee life forces deplete as they would ignore my desperate hand speech bubbles of "push food" in favour of playing with a ball was devastating. As someone has previously said above, once I found the science kit I relied on it heavily to keep my Norns alive.
The one thing I can remember was the surprise when I had my first ever norn to lay an egg. All of a sudden, the wee "EGG" notification appeared on the task bar at the bottom of screen and I can remember thinking "Where did that come from?" :lol: :lol:

Return to “General”