The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

Creatures Naming Schemes

Talk about everything else Creatures!
C-Rex
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C2
Favorite Species: Norn

Creatures Naming Schemes

Postby C-Rex » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:51 am

Does anyone here use naming schemes when giving names to their Norns or other Creatures? I'm aware Jessica does (I recognised some of her Norns' names from the Disney movie, The Black Cauldron) and think it's quite a creative way of making each generation of Norns unique.
The Norn Nebula - My Creatures Blog - http://thenornnebula.blogspot.co.uk/
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/c-rex1
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/Rexgamer

You were born an original. Don't die a copy.

Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1

Re: Creatures Naming Schemes

Postby Jessica » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:44 pm

I had to do a bit of digging, but this post includes a lot of the naming schemes I've used over the years. I agree that having a theme for the names adds a little something extra to the generation. It can be a little more difficult when the generations aren't separated, yet it's still possible! That's sometimes where a custom list for the Protective Tub comes in handy.

The current sixth generation in my Creatures 1 world has a rather unique naming scheme! At one point I thought I was running out of ideas, but there are a whole lot of them out there. I'm curious to hear what names everyone else uses!

Kitty Tikara
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: DS
Favorite Game: C3/DS

Postby Kitty Tikara » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:57 pm

I usually use an autonamer, but I like to use names from this site when I do have a naming scheme. Also I randomly googled naming schemes and namingschemes.com is apparently a thing. O.o

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS
Favorite Game: C2

Postby Amaikokonut » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:43 pm

Kitty Tikara wrote:namingschemes.com is apparently a thing. O.o
Holy wow that is an awesome site, thank you for sharing :> I might steal some of those at some point!

I love the idea of naming schemes, I just so very rarely have the energy to implement them (I worry mostly about running out of names in long-running worlds). I think I personally like the idea of themed autonamers just because that element of randomness can add so much personality to a creature.

SpaceShipRat
Everyday Egg

Postby SpaceShipRat » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:33 pm

When C1 came out, I named male norns after trees, and females after flowers. I ran out of trees pretty quickly, and couldn't just google more, eight year olds didn't have free internet access at the time, you had to go to an adult ask permission to use the phone line...

I skipped C2 (had no idea it came out!) and when I started playing C3 I found the "moniker" by their genetic info, and started using the keywords from there, Wind, Bird, Rain, Lake, Hill... when I realized they were repeating I think I just started to name them for their looks, then moved on to autonamers.

Return to “General”