The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

A Warning About Creatures @ SeeYou7

Talk about everything else Creatures!
Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1
Favorite Species: Norn

A Warning About Creatures @ SeeYou7

Postby Jessica » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:44 am

Do Not Visit the SeeYou7 Domain

Over time, the community sometimes loses longstanding community sites for various reasons. Sadly, Creatures @ SeeYou7 (Creatures @ CU7) went down earlier this year. Most of the time these links just go dead, but this domain seems to have suspicious/malicious software and pop-ups. Thanks to C-Rex for posting about this at Docking Station Galaxy! I accidentally visited the site not long ago, and recommend steering clear for the time being, or at least until it is no longer infected.

What Can I Do?

The best thing you can do is to spread the word about this potentially dangerous domain, which was once a very popular Creatures site. There are also a number of things you can do to help reduce any risks:

• Change any links you can that go to SeeYou7, either to an archived version or something else.
  • Share this information so more people in the community know not to visit this domain right now.
There isn't a reason to panic, though! Simply be mindful of where a link goes before you click it. Feel free to post about any updates regarding this domain, especially if it appears to be safe again. At this point it looks like it may never include its old content again, but perhaps we'll see all of this content again in the future. Stay safe!

Kitty Tikara
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: DS
Favorite Game: C3/DS

Re: A Warning About Creatures @ SeeYou7

Postby Kitty Tikara » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:59 pm

Of all the sites for this to happen to... It might also be worth posting this in your blog as well? Slightly unrelated but Creatures Heaven is apparently dead. Luckily most of the agents and genomes were backed up at some point and it's not infected by anything.

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:06 pm

Good idea! I'll be including this notice in a post either today or tomorrow. It's one thing for a favorite site to go down and its links to be down indefinitely... But this could be quite dangerous! I believe when I visited a few weeks ago, a pop-up told me that a new version of software was available and there was no way to close the window without clicking one of the buttons. Please be very careful! Hitting the "Cancel" button is often a way to disguise a malicious installer. I had to quit in a rather unconventional way, and I've been doing extra scans to be on the safe side.

Thanks for that note about Creatures Heaven! It's sad that it's down, but at least things were backed up and there's no danger.

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS
Favorite Game: C2

Postby Amaikokonut » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Thanks for making this announcement. I went through the wiki a few days back and changed all the links that I could.

I'd like to add that if you HAVE stumbled onto this site and believe you might be infected, be sure to run a scan with Malwarebytes or whatever your choice of protection software is. Double check your browser extensions/plugins list to make sure nothing has been installed without your approval (malware plugins are often disguised as something innocent like 'search manager' but actually implant ads and other unwanted content into pages that you are viewing).

It's worth mentioning that if your browser has a blacklist feature, you can add the domain to that just so that if you do accidentally click through, you won't have problems. If you're running a script-blocker like NoScript anyway you don't have as much to fear.

Disclaimer: I'm not a computer-doctor, use the software/extensions I mentioned at your own risk, etc

Shoy
Everyday Egg

Postby Shoy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:13 pm

It's sad to see stuff like this happen :(

I've posted about this on Creatures Caves, I figured that would be a good place to share this information.

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:14 pm

Thanks for spreading the word, Shoy! Definitely a sad thing, but hopefully keeping the community aware will at least keep most of us safe. C-Rex shared this archived link, which I think is the most up-to-date version of the site when it was safe.

xan
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: DS
Favorite Game: C3/DS
Favorite Species: Grendel

Postby xan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:57 am

man, that's a shame. I hope the person running it is alright, when I've had domains lapse it's typically been because I couldn't afford to keep them running.
I will marinate you in the GPL for 4 days and then I will roast and eat you.

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:32 am

Just a quick update that even though it has been several months, this domain is still not safe. Please be sure to avoid it and update any previous links you may have. Stay safe! It also looks like the archived version of the site is no longer available due to a file on the current domain. This is another attempt to get people to visit the domain. As far as I can tell, it redirects to a very strange URL and recommends updating Adobe Flash. Do not accept! Nowadays, most computers have automatic update features, so you'll never need a third-party site to provide you with a link to update your software. I (or anyone else) will post periodic updates every few months to keep everyone aware of this issue. Hopefully it will be resolved at some point!

C-Rex
Everyday Egg
Favorite Game: C2

Postby C-Rex » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:53 pm

Such a shame what has happened to this once brilliant website. I advise anyone to contact active community members if their websites still link to it, otherwise curious users may end up with nasty malware on their systems!
The Norn Nebula - My Creatures Blog - http://thenornnebula.blogspot.co.uk/
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/c-rex1
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/Rexgamer

You were born an original. Don't die a copy.

Return to “General”