Xodin and the Hootch

I recently mentioned how Xodin had discovered the still and the wonderful world of alcohol. Fortunately in Creatures 1, the drug is less of a toxin and more of a source of pleasure. Norns and Grendels alike suffer from the normal effects of alcohol, but it doesn’t cause any organ damage or poisoning. Of course, I haven’t examined its effects in detail across the three generations of Creatures, so more detailed information is very much welcomed! According to the Creatures Wiki, hootch contains 60 units of alcohol and 5 units of hunger increase.

When I found Xodin, he had emptied at least two cans of hootch and was thirsty for more! Fortunately, he’s been keeping busy by riding in the lifts and seeing all the sights that the little settlement has to offer. I really do need to spend a bit of time teaching him more about the world and how to operate some of the items. What a negligent hand I was turning into! Norns and Grendels seem to react differently to the hand depending on how the player interacts with them.

Alas, poor Xodin started spinning around and around with his hootch! The reason why he looks so sad is because he took many, many trips up and down the lift with many, many cans of hootch. He ate a few carrots that were magically brought to him: He just desperately needs to sleep off his exciting day of drinking! Note that in no way do I actually condone drinking alcohol: It has a much different effect in Creatures 1 than it does in our world, and has the same group classification as coffee. It would be a different story if it were somehow separated out as a “bad drink” or something of the sort.

Maybe Xodin is learning that hootch isn’t as amazing as he first thought it was! To the best of my ability, I plan on substituting carrots and honey into his diet and taking away most of the hootch. Even in his sleepy state, I think he shows how adorable and non-threatening Grendels are. Remember that Grendels really aren’t that different from Norns!

1 Comment
« Previous Post | Next Post »