The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

What elements from other games would you like to see in Creatures?

Talk about everything else Creatures!
Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS
Favorite Game: C2
Favorite Species: Norn

What elements from other games would you like to see in Creatures?

Postby Amaikokonut » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:46 pm

I was musing on this several months ago when I was playing a bunch of Starbound and really loved how dynamic and shapeable the worlds were. It also has a whole system of wiring components together much like connectable agents in C3, but a more fleshed out and with a lot more possibilities. I spent a lot of time wondering what it would be like to raise norns in huge, procedurally generated explorable words like that.

Are there any games you've played lately that you'd like to take elements from and mix them into Creatures or vice versa?

Izarallia
Everyday Egg

Re: What elements from other games would you like to see in Creatures?

Postby Izarallia » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:34 pm

You know how in the 3DS Pokemon games there is a section where you can actually play games with your Pokemon? I would love to do that with my Creatures! Where you can give them affection more than just a tickle and interact with them on more of a playful level.

I would also like it if you could take their hand and guide them places. I don't know if they've added anything like that in newer creatures games, because I've only played creatures one, but I would really love to not have to spend twenty minutes begging them to follow me xD

kezune
Busy Bee
Favorite Game: DS
Favorite Species: Grendel

Postby kezune » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:26 pm

If you try C3 or DS I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! No bonding games or anything, but you can lead them around by the hand. :)

I'd always wanted food to be more interesting. The cookie machine helps with this, but I always wanted to expand on that, like the Growth Craft and Harvest craft mods for Minecraft.
It never hurt anybody to have thick skin, a strong back and a level head.
Designer Genes : Revived!

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS

Postby Amaikokonut » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:04 pm

Oh man, Pokemon Amie-esque play for norns would just be too cute, I would die. :lol:

I've actually always wanted a more interesting food system too, especially one that involved putting some effort into growing, harvesting, processing, etc. Maybe in addition to farmable stuff, some especially rare wild herbs would grow randomly in the world that could be collected to brew potent antidotes (or poisons, if you so wish). I think even a few basic elements of randomness, surprise, or rarity could make the games more interesting,

C-Rex
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: C1

Postby C-Rex » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:27 am

I'd like norns to develop relationship levels with other creatures, similar to what's in The Sims. Positive interactions - tickling, playing together, would lead to a level increase, whereas negative interactions such as punching, slapping or hearing a creature exclaim that they dislike them would decrease the level.
The Norn Nebula - My Creatures Blog - http://thenornnebula.blogspot.co.uk/
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/c-rex1
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/Rexgamer

You were born an original. Don't die a copy.

Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1

Postby Jessica » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:04 pm

The first part of this post reminds me of the very, very obscure reason I actually had a lot of interest in C3/DS: The connecting agents and machines that were supposed to be easy to create and awesome! To say that's a disappointing part of the game is an understatement. Can anyone remember the last time someone shared a blueprint, or even mentioned linking up some components and gadgets? I can't think of an exact game, but that reminds me that it would be awesome if that part of the game was actually more interesting and fun! Even silly machines that don't do much, yet are easy to put together, seems like they could be interesting.

Loving all of the other ideas that everyone is throwing out there! I especially would love to see some more customization, both with the world and with Creatures themselves. In a way, this makes me think of the old Petz games (namely Petz 3, 4, and 5) where you really had a one-on-one relationship. Treats could be used to teach tricks, toys were more interactive, and there was usually a sense of responsibility. I might be in the minority, yet I enjoy feeling like I at least have some role in taking care of my Norns. It's at least nice to have that option. Vanilla C3/DS Norns really just need the player to hatch the starting eggs, and then you're basically unnecessary. I'm exaggerating and that doesn't apply in every case, but I hope that makes some sense!

C-Rex's idea of more positive interactions also brings up something I feel like I talked with someone about before... A tickle is the only form of positive interaction, but it includes the reward chemical. So there isn't a way to just show simple affection for a Creature without potentially confusing him or her.

Other random ideas (some not so great) in quick succession so you all can escape this unnecessarily long post:

• In-Game Screenshots: I know there is a game that has this integrated, but I can't remember which one it is! I know the Owner's Kit works in C1 and C2, but those can be a pain. I get all of my screenshots with screen grabs taken externally. Maybe this isn't an absolutely necessity, yet it feels like other games have a way to take snapshots very easily.
  • Inventory: I would love to see some sort of inventory system that mimics most other games. Something that goes with the player and almost acts like a mini agent injector. The Garden Box comes to mind as something that achieves this. I would love to be able to "inject" food or toys like I was carrying them around with me. The C3/DS inventory screen can be a mess... Sometimes I use that just for storage, and it turns into a nightmare of right-clicks.
  • Puzzles: Oddly enough, Creatures Village pops into my mind with the puzzle pieces. Just having something that requires some sort of problem solving to unlock would add more for the player. I know sometimes it gets a little boring watching Creatures when nothing is going on, so having something for a player to work on seems like it could keep someone more interested. I know that would work for me!
  • Random Events: The only game that comes to mind at the moment is King of Dragon Pass... Which isn't exactly what I mean, but something that just adds a bit of interesting flavor. Right now, about the only random event is an illness. Random, but not exactly exciting since it's about the only thing that can happen!

Return to “General”