The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

The 20th Anniversary of Creatures

Talk about everything else Creatures!
Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1
Favorite Species: Norn

The 20th Anniversary of Creatures

Postby Jessica » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:40 pm

As many people probably know, this November marks the 20th anniversary of the release of Creatures 1! Has it really been that long? Indeed! This is a pretty big celebration, especially considering how active the community still is. Creatures might not be on any video game top seller lists at the moment, yet the series is one that lives on. That's quite an achievement after 20 years.

I have a few surprises in store, and I'll leave it at that! Suffice to say that a few messages went out to the appropriate parties, and several entities are on board. All of that will be revealed in November, if I can keep a secret for that long!

What is everyone else planning, or what would you like to see as part of this celebration? I'm not sure where the planning process is in regards to the CCSF 2016, yet I'm imagining this as something that won't necessarily have a central location. Anyone is free to do whatever, although I think it might be nice to have some structured events. For instance, I'm toying with the idea of something like a Norndoll parade to mark the occasion... Silly, but very relevant! I would love to hear what ideas you have, and if there's a way for specific events to be pulled together, I'm sure we can all work together to make them happen.

Mark those calendars: Only about four months to go!

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS
Favorite Game: C2

Re: The 20th Anniversary of Creatures

Postby Amaikokonut » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:26 pm

A norndoll parade sounds really adorable!

Man, I can't believe its been nearly 20 years. Considering the impact this game has had on so many of us, it really is worth celebrating.

C-Rex
Everyday Egg

Postby C-Rex » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:48 pm

It's definitely worth celebrating, and the Norndoll parade sounds very cute! Maybe I could create my first genetic breed for Creatures 1 to celebrate? :lol:
Last edited by C-Rex on Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Norn Nebula - My Creatures Blog - http://thenornnebula.blogspot.co.uk/
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/c-rex1
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/Rexgamer

You were born an original. Don't die a copy.

Kitty Tikara
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: DS
Favorite Game: C3/DS

Postby Kitty Tikara » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:32 pm

The 20th anniversary! I knew the series was old, but I didn't know it was that old. Your norndoll parade sounds adorable and hopefully there's a way for other people's norndolls to get involved. I know my two would be interested. :P I didn't really have any plans but I'll have to see what I can come up with now.

As for the CCSF, someone offered to do the banner for it over at CCaves, but no one has stepped up to be the coordinator (as far as I know anyway.) I'm not really interested in being coordinator, but I might jump start the conversation if it doesn't start soon.

C-Rex
Everyday Egg

Postby C-Rex » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:05 pm

The coordinator situation has bothered me a little too, and I've sometimes been a little worried about the situation of the CCSF 2016. However, I'm sure with the right people involved things will hopefully go very well.
The Norn Nebula - My Creatures Blog - http://thenornnebula.blogspot.co.uk/
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/c-rex1
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/Rexgamer

You were born an original. Don't die a copy.

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:22 pm

Well it sounds like we're going to have plenty of Norndolls dancing, prancing, posing, and walking about! I can certainly put together some sort of event for that. Any other thoughts specifically to celebrate the 20th anniversary?

I'm mainly focused on the anniversary, but it seems like the CCSF 2016 might coincide with this. Perhaps the coordinator(s) will consider working in some of the events and activities posted here! Or we might even have a year where the CCSF is a little more decentralized so that anyone can celebrate the games and the community in their own ways. That's what I'm thinking of for the 20th anniversary celebration, aside from a few events that would do better with a little structure.

I'm sure we'll have a fun time this November, no matter what happens! Can't really go wrong with celebrating Creatures... Unless some ravenous Norn shows up and eats EVERYTHING. Ha ha!

DarkAuthor
Everyday Egg

Postby DarkAuthor » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:45 am

I got ahold of Chaos Created (the people who made norn garden and a couple other metarooms) and asked if, as the games are about 20 years old, if they might consider making those metarooms free (the company now makes educational software). Someone called Ali got back to me about it and said that they would consider that, but also, in light of the 20 year anniversary, she would try to dig up and repost some old cobs she made for the games and hosted at Albia 2000.

I haven't been a member of the community that long, but I still thought it was kind of cool and figured I'd share with you all. Hopefully something comes of it.

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:58 am

That's awesome news, DarkAuthor! Thanks so much for sharing that! I think I attempted to reach out years ago with no success, but that's the wonderful thing about never giving up. You're a wonderful member of the community! Please be sure to keep us all up-to-date on any other developments, as this is something that will be really useful. I've often balked at the price tags on those metarooms, even though I understand how much time and effort went into creating them. Sounds like you've got the ball rolling towards something awesome, and I look forward to seeing what happens. Thanks again for taking the time to reach out!

This also reminds me of a random idea I had to try to contact people from old Creatures sites to check in and maybe bring a few more back to the community... Maybe that's something for you, since you seem to be very successful! Ha!

SpaceShipRat
Everyday Egg

Postby SpaceShipRat » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:43 pm

Ali! :D last I saw of him, he was making strange tv-based interactive games. It would be amazing to hear from old community figures even if just for a hello.

I had the BIGGEST tween crush on theDarkPsycho

DarkAuthor
Everyday Egg

Postby DarkAuthor » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:21 pm

The only reason I was able to get a hold of anyone at Chaos Created is because they have a facebook page for their business. In fact, if you go to the website, it is really hard to find links to the old creatures stuff. Hopefully something good comes out of it, though. I haven't been around long enough to know what kind of cobs Albia 2000 even has.

I did suggest to Ali that they stop by here or creaturescaves sometime, though, as they said they missed the games and the community. Maybe we'll hear more from them.

Return to “General”