The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

CCSF 2016

Talk about everything else Creatures!
Malkin
Everyday Egg

CCSF 2016

Postby Malkin » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:46 pm

X-posting from CC.com:
It's already July, and aside from NornBreeder offering to make a banner and graphics, I haven't seen any planning going on. (If I've just missed the planning somehow, please link me to it!)

So, I went ahead and made a survey to at least get us started. It will stay open through August 6, and you can click here to take it.

For those who might not know, the CCSF is the Creatures Community Spirit Festival, a traditional event held by the community each year. During the CCSF, downloads, art, and articles are posted daily, and other events go on, such as community wolfling runs or contests. It's basically a long party, meant to drum up excitement and love for these games and inspire people to participate in the community.

(Please link this survey elsewhere, as well - it'd be nice to get opinions from as many community members as possible.)

C-Rex
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C2
Favorite Species: Norn

Re: CCSF 2016

Postby C-Rex » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:10 am

I think this year's CCSF should celebrate the 20th anniversary of Creatures 1! :)
The Norn Nebula - My Creatures Blog - http://thenornnebula.blogspot.co.uk/
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/c-rex1
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/Rexgamer

You were born an original. Don't die a copy.

xan
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: DS
Favorite Game: C3/DS
Favorite Species: Grendel

Postby xan » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:55 am

i agree. I've actually started collecting C1 COBs and whatnot from my archives. Maybe this will be the year i actually get a functioning wine-wrapper of it going?

e: filled out and sent form. *thumbs up*
I will marinate you in the GPL for 4 days and then I will roast and eat you.

Allekha
Everyday Egg
Favorite Species: Ettin

Postby Allekha » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:01 am

Thanks for cross-posting, Malkin. And of course, thanks to those who filled the survey out.

The survey has just closed, and the results are viewable here. Now is usually the time to post a follow-up asking about themes and such, but we should probably have an organizer or few first.

I'll also repost my summary of what people wrote:
When should the CCSF be held?
The majority of people would like it to happen sometime in November.

How long should the CCSF go for?
Votes were fairly evenly split between 'one week' and 'it depends', with a decent showing for 'five days'.

What should a good CCSF have? What should a good CCSF avoid doing?

There were a variety of answers here, but two common themes:
A variety of content (both in terms of game downloads and in activities)
Having things that can involve all members of the community and encourage activity

What in particular would you like to see in this year's CCSF? (In terms of activities, website, etc)

There were a lot of suggestions, but one thing that came up more than once was a celebration of the 20th anniversary of Creatures.

What would help you to be able to contribute submissions (whether art, releases, writing, or anything else) to the CCSF? What do you think could help people in general to contribute?

I reworded this question slightly after a few days, because everyone was writing in what they felt they could contribute. That continued after rewording, so I guess people were just enthusiastic about what they can share!

A lot of people want more information, tutorials, and guides. Perhaps this isn't the best place to ask, but I would appreciate seeing more details in what people want; as someone who has experience with coding outside of CAOS, I'm not as aware of what blind spots exist in the many tutorials we already have for CAOS, and I don't do much poking around in genetics, myself.

People also wanted encouragement and help. I remember a few years ago there was a post for finding help and collaborations pre-CCSF; it might be a good idea to try that again.

From my experience with herding cats participants, I can say that frequent reminders are helpful.

Allekha
Everyday Egg

Postby Allekha » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:51 pm

Doringo and I have volunteered to co-ordinate this year's CCSF.

Survey #2 is now open, and asks about themes and potential activities. I compiled a long list of activities that were held in previous CCSFs as well as those that had been suggested on past CCSF surveys, but there's also room for more suggestions.

Take it here!

This survey will be open through 11:59:59pm EST on September 12.

Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1

Postby Jessica » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:32 pm

This is awesome to hear about! I've been away far too long and missed out on some of the surveys, yet I'm glad that the CCSF 2016 is moving forward. I will say that I have some potential surprises in store for the 20th anniversary of Creatures 1... I've been in contact with a number of people/companies who may be on board with doing some rather "official" stuff in relation to the anniversary. I don't have any specifics yet, nor anything I can share, yet I would be happy to talk with you (Allekha and Doringo) to keep you in the loop! These things may happen outside of the CCSF, yet hopefully everything will come together so everyone can celebrate 20 years of Creatures 1 in a whole lot of different ways! Good luck coordinating this year's celebration!

Allekha
Everyday Egg

Postby Allekha » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:44 pm

Thanks, Jessica - when you have something you can share with us, please feel free to send an email to the official CCSF email (ccsf.2016 @ yahoo.com). I know I'd sure be excited to hear about what you have in store :)

Allekha
Everyday Egg

Postby Allekha » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:47 pm

So, I have some good news and some bad news.

First, the bad: the CCSF is being delayed by two weeks to start on December 11th instead of this week, due primarily to a shortage of submissions. Doringo and I would like to thank everyone who has made a submission so far, and we would also like to encourage those who haven't to do so if they have the time. Submissions don't have to be complex agents or new sprite breeds; fixes and fun little things, fanart and short stories, have all been submitted so far, and they count, too. (That said, we do have some exciting things waiting to be released!)

The good news: the blog carnival is still happening this week. You can see the first round-up post here; I encourage everyone to check it out and read (and comment on!) everyone's answers. From now on, the round-up posts will be done close to midnight EST of the same day.

Venithil
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C2

Postby Venithil » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:57 pm

Hm. I can't make any promises about it, but 2 weeks time should be enough to give me some time to test out my two extra Creature 2 breeds. Since it's going to take me some time before I can comfortably set up a blog of my own, I could upload them together with the first genetic breed I made (which I'm satisfied with now), write some article or another and put up a bunch of Creatures 2 and Docking Station critters for adoption, since I don't have anywhere to upload them to myself yet other than my Googledrive or maybe Creatures Caves. I'll make sure to send the submissions by mail if/when I'm able to.

Update :
I've sent all three genetic breeds of my make to CCSF's email account, so assuming they'll be approved that's my first contribution.
One day, all the weird mutant Norns, Ettins, and Grendels shall make themselves an X-Albians movie.
If you'd like to read a blog-style story of my Creatures playthroughs (including struggles with Creatures 2' "Smart" breeds [Canny, N. Subterra, Kannova], and my own genome) click Here!

If you'd like to check and download my work with the Kannova genome, click here!

Allekha
Everyday Egg

Postby Allekha » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:17 pm

Aaand the CCSF 2016 is official go! Come check out today's releases and the first clue for the wiki scavenger hunt!

Return to “General”