The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

No Comment: Why Commenting Code Is Still a Bad Idea

Talk about everything else Creatures!
Malkin
Everyday Egg

Postby Malkin » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:39 am

Thoughts?

No-one seems to comment much in the CC...

DarkAuthor
Everyday Egg

Re: No Comment: Why Commenting Code Is Still a Bad Idea

Postby DarkAuthor » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:19 pm

Maybe people tend to forget to do it or don't consider that other people might want to read the coding the coding they wrote to try to learn.

kezune
Busy Bee
Favorite Game: DS
Favorite Species: Grendel

Postby kezune » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:38 pm

Interesting article!

I used to comment heavily in all of my code but for some reason never got around to doing the same in CAOS. I preferred talking about the code outside of agents.

I think part of that is because I rely heavily on existing agents or .cos edits to do what I need to do and often that code was already heavily documented. Really, I should get into the habit of commenting more.
It never hurt anybody to have thick skin, a strong back and a level head.
Designer Genes : Revived!

Malkin
Everyday Egg

Postby Malkin » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:59 pm

A lot of the DS code is fairly well-commented, but if you need more guidance for C3, the C3 Bootstrap V2 is an excellent resource.

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS
Favorite Game: C2
Favorite Species: Norn

Postby Amaikokonut » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:03 am

I feel like I comment a lot, but it's more to help myself remember what the heck I am doing than anything. CAOS in particular can be totally indecipherable at times. Sometimes I just vent or write random thoughts in the comments too. I'm not really sure what's considered 'good' commenting but it's probably not random song lyrics and frustrated grumbling. Oh well, I figure if anyone ever actually reads them, they'll get some amusement out of it.

Malkin
Everyday Egg

Postby Malkin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:44 am

An earlier article by the same author advocates for writing "Really Obvious Code".

When we code we try to solve a problem. After working with the problem, often we understand it better at the end than at the start. For this person, "Really Obvious Code" is the step of going back and rewriting the code with the new understanding of the problem. The trouble is... who's got time for that?

Return to “General”