The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

Suggestions and Ideas

Learn about the Discover Albia Forum.
Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1
Favorite Species: Norn

Suggestions and Ideas

Postby Jessica » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:02 am

New Features and Improvements

Parts of the forum may be changed from time to time, or new features may be added. Some of these decisions come from mandatory updates, yet the majority of improvements come from your suggestions and ideas! This is a place for the Creatures community, so it stands to reason that the future of it is based on what everyone would like to see. Of course, not everything can be implemented, yet you are more than welcome to share your opinions to make the Discover Albia Forum even better!

Use this topic to report problems that may need fixing, and to suggest ways to improve the forum. Again, there is no guarantee that something can or will be implemented, yet it never hurts to share your thoughts. Hopefully we'll get even better over time!

Suggestion Discussions

Members are welcome to discuss certain suggestions, but if an extended discussion seems warranted, a separate topic will be created to keep things organized. Keep an eye out for announcements along these lines!

C-Rex
Everyday Egg
Favorite Game: C2

Re: Suggestions and Ideas

Postby C-Rex » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:28 pm

I'm not sure if this is really a suggestion, it's more of a bug report, but I'm currently unable to make signatures longer than one character. Is this intentional or is it something that needs to be fixed? The rest of the website has been working fine apart from this!

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:20 pm

Ah, I was about to reply to your response in the other topic. Signatures are currently disabled for a few reasons. The main one, though, is that all BBCodes can be used in signatures, which includes the one to include a YouTube video. I haven't worked out the best way to make sure that signatures remain small enough: It's not really a character-based thing, especially since images (and videos) can take up a large amount of space. I'm not saying it will be disabled forever, but hopefully that makes a little bit of sense! It is intentional until such a point that signatures seem like something everyone would like and use. I tend to find that they can clutter up a board a lot... But I can also be overly neat and organized!

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS

Postby Amaikokonut » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:57 pm

Sadly I can't really recall a simple way to actually restrict signature content specifically by BBcode (I recall at least in older versions options to disable ALL BBcode in sigs but that prevents links too, and a I think option to blacklist the image tag, but that would still leave the video tag).

I think a lot of forums just enforce a signature policy along the lines of say, text/links only, or no images taller than 30px or so, which allows for some personal expression without getting too cluttered.

If you're concerned about a signature policy being ignored, I believe it's still possible to allow/disallow signature privileges by group, so you could perhaps have everyone by default disallowed signature privileges and then have a thread containing the signature policies that people have to post that they've read and agree to before they can be added to the group that allows the use of signatures, if that makes sense?

kezune
Busy Bee
Favorite Game: DS
Favorite Species: Grendel

Postby kezune » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:10 am

I really like Amai's idea of having signatures enabled based on group. That would make it very easy to disable signatures belonging to people who violate the signature policy or haven't agreed to a signature agreement of some kind.

Also, I know this might not be the most -popular- of the help sections, but I thought I'd recommend adding Creatures Village to the Questions and Answers forum. Whether I like them or not, they are technically part of the Creatures games and people might come here looking for troubleshooting questions for them. Just an idea. :)

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:06 am

Excellent ideas! I do want to spend a little bit of time looking into the signature thing, on the off chance that I can figure out how to do something with the BBCodes. Otherwise, I'm a big fan of your idea, Amai! Definitely something I'm going to look into, so we should have signatures implemented at some point in the not-too-distant future. Thanks for that suggestion!

The archives in the help section can certainly be expanded! I just don't know of any FAQs regarding Creatures Village that I could add from the get-go. I've added [CV] as one of the recommended options when posting game-specific topics. Incidentally, the user profile section for "Favorite Game" now includes Creatures Village as an option! I'll likely add the Creatures Village Help Archive in the next few days... I think I have a few questions and answers I can post to get things started. Thank you for mentioning that!

EDIT: As of today (June 10) there is now a Creatures Village Help Archive. Thanks again for the idea, Kezune!

Grendel Man
Everyday Egg
Favorite Game: C3/DS
Favorite Species: Grendel

Postby Grendel Man » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:59 am

This is a really minor suggestion, but I think it'd make more sense to have Creatures 3 and Docking Station be considered one game under the Favorite Games options. At least, I think of them as one game, as the differences between the two are pretty minor, and I doubt I'm the only one.

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:48 am

I had originally considered grouping the two together. I think I'm in the minority, though... If I say C3 is my favorite, that means I never use DS. And if I choose DS, that means that I might enjoy DS and also playing in a C3/DS docked world, yet that would still mean that DS is my favorite. I can certainly look into making the change if that makes the most sense! I've seen a few people who prefer Creatures 3 standalone and/or view the games as completely separate. I might also shorten up the options to C1, C2, etc. since the current ones tend to take up lots of space. Thanks for the suggestion! Anyone else have a quick thought about it?

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS

Postby Amaikokonut » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:54 pm

I think just adding a C3/DS option while retaining the other two would work too. Alternatively you might branch DS out into something like 'DS (Docked)' and 'DS (Undocked)'.

Also, this is more a personal dilemma, but I have my favorite game currently listed as C2 because I hold the most fondness for it, but really I almost never play it, so I'm thinking of changing to DS since it's actually more relevant. I almost would rather the label "favorite game" be "primary game" or "currently playing" indicating it's my focus so I don't have to chose between my actual favorite and what I actually use. That's probably just me though; it doesn't bother me enough to warrant changing unless others feel similar.

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:56 pm

That's actually a great idea! As of today (June 11) the following changes are now active:

Favorite Game: As suggested by Grendel Man, there is now an option for C3/DS. All entries were also shortened up to save a little bit of space, so "Creatures 2" is now "C2". Previous choices should have carried over correctly.

Currently Playing: As suggested by Amaiakokonut, there is now a new profile field to show which game you're currently playing. These choices are identical to the favorite game choices, yet I hope the distinction is pretty clear!

As always, these profile fields are completely optional. Feel free to use them as you like, or leave them blank... Particularly if you just can't decide which one is your favorite. Keep those suggestions coming! Thanks again, Grendel Man and Amai!

Return to “Forum Information”