The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

Suggestions and Ideas

Learn about the Discover Albia Forum.
Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS
Favorite Game: C2
Favorite Species: Norn

Re: Suggestions and Ideas

Postby Amaikokonut » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:41 pm

Nice! Thanks for the update :D

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee

Postby Amaikokonut » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:41 am

Would you consider adding custom BBcode for spoilers / content warnings? I realized in writing one of my posts that sometimes depictions of norn-death can be a little brutal or just outright depressing and it would be nice to have the option to hide that from those that might be sensitive to it. It can also come in handy for organizing large/image-heavy posts or allowing the expanding/collapsing of different sections of a guide. Just thought I'd throw that out there!

Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1

Postby Jessica » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:50 pm

I can definitely look some sort of spoiler BBCode. Right now you can kind of get away with it using the "bgcolor=" code to match the font color, but I'll be the first to say that this is rather silly and annoying. I'll do a bit of research to see what I can come up with, yet I think that's a great idea! I imagine we'll have this implemented at some point soon.

Also, a quick note that signatures should be enabled soon! I'm just working out a couple of very minor things, but this feature should be available beginning this week. Keep an eye out for that announcement!

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:04 am

Signatures are now active as of today (June 14)! The current limit is 1,000 characters, but please also keep size in mind. For instance, please avoid large images and the video BBCode. I think everyone knows what works and what doesn't in a signature, though! Feel free to let me know if you have any other feedback.

Note that previous posts will not show your signature because it was disabled. You can go back and edit your posts, or simply use it going forward. I think the only one who has a lot of previous posts is me, so hopefully it's not an issue. If it is, though, I can do this for you! Just trying to make things as easy as possible.

Also, still looking into that spoiler BBCode, and I'll have an update on it as soon as I find something that works!

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:18 pm

So let's just say that the spoiler BBCode is a little messier and not quite as easy as I would have hoped for. It's not currently in the list of BBCodes yet, but what do you think of the following method? The only downside is that these have to go on their own lines, so you won't be able to have them show up in the middle of a block of text. However, this one works whereas others seem to only allow one spoiler per post. Thoughts? The biggest downside is that the preview text (what you see before clicking) does not allow any punctuation. Still a work in progress, but is this getting close?

[+] Never Click Here
Oh my, you found a super secret message!

[+] Avoid This Like the Plague
And look... Another amazingly exciting piece of information, complete with way too many words leading up to a really exciting conclusion... This is sample spoiler text. The end!

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee

Postby Amaikokonut » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:52 pm

Oh wow, I really love that! The fact that you can customize the label text and that it doesn't look like an ugly gray button are huge pluses in my book. It just looks really nice! It's a shame that it doesn't fit inline but I think the format of it totally makes up for it.

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:05 am

As of today (June 20) the spoiler BBCode is now active and available to use when posting! It does have a couple of slight drawbacks as Amai and I mentioned previously. These include:

• Spoiler text is not inline, and appears on its own line/paragraph.
  • Punctuation and special characters may not be included in the spoiler hint.
Hopefully these aren't too limiting! The Features and How To Guide now contains an example on how to use it. It's a little different, but it's still mostly just a matter of inserting two areas of text. Just don't forget the quotes! Feel free to test it out by previewing a post to get the hang of it. And no worries if you need to go back and fix something shortly after posting.

Keep those ideas and suggestions coming! Hopefully you're all enjoying the new features that are coming out... They may be small, but every little thing helps. Thanks!

Grendel Man
Everyday Egg
Favorite Game: C3/DS
Favorite Species: Grendel

Postby Grendel Man » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:45 pm

Another suggestion: It'd be nice if clicking on a topic would automatically take you to the first unread message. A few of the other forums I go to have that feature, and it's just pretty convenient.

xan
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: DS
Favorite Game: C3/DS
Favorite Species: Grendel

Postby xan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:30 pm

You know, now that you mention it, I did feel like something was 'off' when I was clicking topic links to new posts. Thanks for putting a name to it.
I will marinate you in the GPL for 4 days and then I will roast and eat you.

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee

Postby Amaikokonut » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:51 pm

Clicking on the little 'page' icon next to new posts doesn't take you to the first unread post? It seems to for me anyway. I think that is standard of phpBB, I might be wrong though.

Return to “Forum Information”