The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

Suggestions and Ideas

Learn about the Discover Albia Forum.
xan
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: DS
Favorite Game: C3/DS
Favorite Species: Grendel

Re: Suggestions and Ideas

Postby xan » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:33 am

Are there any plans to spruce up the link section? I came looking for an 88x31 icon or link banner or something for linking DiscoverAlbia from my site and was disappointed to find nothing graphical I could use at a quick study, and the overall link section doesn't seem to have any space for this kind of personalization either. Makes everything look kinda samey.
I will marinate you in the GPL for 4 days and then I will roast and eat you.

Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1
Favorite Species: Norn

Postby Jessica » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:58 am

Grendel Man: As Amai mentioned, phpBB has a pretty standard format of handling posts. Clicking on the topic title will take you to the very beginning, but clicking on the small icon on the right side next to a username will automatically take you to the most recent post. Hopefully that works and clears things up!

Xan: Which link section are you referring to? The Link Hub is designed to be something for everyone else, where various Creatures blogs can be added to form a sort of central location. It's certainly not the greatest, but hopefully it will get somewhere! Please let me know what you mean about limited personalization, too. I'm definitely all for letting members express themselves within the rules, and if it seems like there are any areas that are limiting in that respective, I would be happy to look into them some more! Funny thing is that I didn't know if the forum was going to take off, so there are no graphics to share... Yet. That's been added to my list, and should be available at some point in the not-too-distant future!

Grendel Man
Everyday Egg

Postby Grendel Man » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:50 pm

That's not quite what I was referring to. I was talking about a situation where there's multiple new posts in a thread and you want to start at the first of those new posts. Starting at the OP and trying to find the last post you read is something of a hassle, and if you just go to the most recent post you might miss a few new posts above that one and trying to find the start of those new posts is again something of a hassle.

I am aware there's already a "go to first unread post" button and already get a lot of use out of it (though I didn't see it there for a while; it's kind of small). My suggestion is just to make clicking on a thread do that automatically as a convenience, or just drop you at the OP if there's no unread posts in the thread.

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:02 pm

Ah, I think I know what you mean. There is actually an indicator that you can see within each reply: Anything that has been read looks like an empty piece of paper, and all unread replies show up in dark green. I can look into making those icons a little easier to find if they're almost invisible, though. The only issue with your solution is that I've never understood a topic title to go to the most recent unread post. I'm not sure how everyone else feels, but that would be a big change from what I'm used to with phpBB.

Maybe I can attempt to change that unread indicator, which I think might get pretty close to what you're suggesting. Does that make sense? Hopefully I'm on the right track. Thanks!

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS
Favorite Game: C2

Postby Amaikokonut » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:22 am

xan wrote:I came looking for an 88x31 icon or link banner or something for linking DiscoverAlbia from my site and was disappointed to find nothing graphical I could use at a quick study,
Just wanted to echo this: It's probably a bit of a side project but it occurs to me that it would be neat if there were a variety of little graphical icons of different sizes/colors we could use to link to this forum from our sites or blogs, or use in signatures on other forums, etc.!

Grendel Man wrote:I am aware there's already a "go to first unread post" button and already get a lot of use out of it (though I didn't see it there for a while; it's kind of small). My suggestion is just to make clicking on a thread do that automatically as a convenience, or just drop you at the OP if there's no unread posts in the thread.
I gotta say I kinda balk a little at making the topic title do the same thing as the first unread post icon when it sits only a few pixels to the side of the title; I prefer to have both options available to choose from rather than being forced into one. I think a change like this would be a little jarring to those of us that have been involved in other phpBB-based communities for years and are accustomed to the way they work (Which I realize may just be me, the old dog, so if the majority wishes otherwise I'll adapt, but I thought I'd drop in my two cents at least :lol: ).

Grendel Man
Everyday Egg

Postby Grendel Man » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:02 pm

To clarify further: I wasn't saying that clicking on the thread title while already in a thread should take you to the first unread post (that should take you to the OP; if you're already in a thread, that's what the "first unread post" button is for). I was talking about being able to simply click on a thread while on a higher level (e.g. the home page or a forum section) to go to the first unread post.

A few other forums I spend a lot of time at, TV Tropes and Smogon, both have this feature implemented. The latter website also has the "first unread post" button, but that hasn't stopped them from also using the feature I'm proposing. Speaking as someone who's used to it, it's made keeping track of threads so much easier.

That being said, if it still sounds like too much of a departure from what you're used to, then I'd probably be happy with making it more obvious which posts haven't been read yet (I didn't even notice the difference until Jessica pointed it out).

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:28 pm

I'll definitely spend some time looking into what you're suggesting, Grendel Man! My Creatures time is very limited this week due to non-Creatures commitments, but this is on my list. I'll contact you if I need some specific examples. Just need to find some time to think this through, and I'm sure we'll find something that works for everyone. Thanks for all of the feedback! And I clearly need to get moving on making some buttons for the forum to share. If only life were so simple and easy that I could spend all my time working on Creatures stuff! I'll share any updates when I get somewhere, which hopefully won't be more than a week (possibly two) out. In the meantime, please keep sharing these great ideas and feedback!

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS
Favorite Game: C2

Postby Amaikokonut » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:21 pm

Grendel Man wrote:To clarify further: I wasn't saying that clicking on the thread title while already in a thread should take you to the first unread post (that should take you to the OP; if you're already in a thread, that's what the "first unread post" button is for). I was talking about being able to simply click on a thread while on a higher level (e.g. the home page or a forum section) to go to the first unread post.
Ahahahah, sorry :oops: I did totally misunderstand what you were talking about there. I was talking about this little page icon that appears to the left of the topic title whenever there is a unread post in that thread:

Clicking this tiny icon (should) take you to the first unread post in that topic, basically the same functionality as clicking the topic title and then clicking the 'first unread post' text, just with less clicks. Does this do what you are describing, or am I misunderstanding (again)? :oops:

kezune
Busy Bee
Favorite Game: DS

Postby kezune » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:20 am

Should we have an "Away Thread" like lots of forums do? It might be helpful to announce when someone's going to be away for a while.

For example, my schedule's gotten a little hard to predict lately and with No Man's Sky coming out... y'know.
It never hurt anybody to have thick skin, a strong back and a level head.
Designer Genes : Revived!

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:08 pm

#1 forum suggestion for Jessica? Don't get too busy! Ha! I know I have a few suggestions to put into place that I previously mentioned, and I'll be getting around to all of that pretty soon. I can also definitely look into creating something like you suggested, Kezune, especially since it would have been pretty useful during my rather unintended, long absence.

Bottom line: There should be some updates soon about previous suggestions and ideas that I said I would implement. Keep those ideas coming in! There won't be such a horrendous wait anymore!

Return to “Forum Information”