The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

July 8: One Month Old!

Learn about the Discover Albia Forum.
Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1
Favorite Species: Norn

July 8: One Month Old!

Postby Jessica » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:10 pm

Happy One Month of Posting!

Can you believe it? The Discover Albia Forum has been around for a month today! It's been a wonderful experience so far, and I'm truly so excited to see all of the activity in the community. If the forum has helped you get into Creatures again, even just a tiny bit, mission accomplished! My abuse of the exclamation point continues, yet it's really refreshing to read all of the new topics and see this beloved series get some more attention. I'm still making changes as we go along, and please always feel free to share your feedback. There are some updates and fixes that I recently made... Plus one very important thing coming up on the horizon!

Profile Site Fix

A huge thanks to C-Rex for putting up with me while I told him exactly where to update a link... And that option wasn't there. Apparently I forgot to setup something for those using British English, so that you were unable to edit your site link in your profile. This should be fixed now! My apologies for that. It has somehow done something odd so that sites don't show up in posts, although you should still see these when viewing profiles. I'm looking into this some more, but hopefully it's not too bad! Feel free to use the signature feature to list your site while I fumble about in the background and attempt not to break anything!

Questions and Answers Archives

Special thanks to Amaikokonut for bringing a suggestion to my attention! Whenever a question has been marked as "Answered" it's been locked and archived. However, Amai pointed out how new information might be pertinent in the future, or someone else might like just a little more clarity if he or she is experiencing a similar problem. Questions will still be archived accordingly so that only the unanswered ones are prominently displayed, but all archived ones are now unlocked. Ideally more time will be spent helping those with unanswered questions, yet you're now free to reply to topics within the archives!

A Major Creatures Challenges Update

I'll be the first to say it: The current point tracking system is painful, tortuous, and annoying. The reason I didn't jump right into something more advanced was to be sure that this would take off... If it was just a couple of people who showed interest, I wanted to be sure I could put that time and effort into another project. However, it seems like these activities are pretty popular! Thank you to everyone who has started tracking points and enjoying Creatures! It's clear that we need a solution, and luckily, I have one in mind that just needs to be built. We'll be using a database system that will be much simpler and cleaner. You'll receive a login to a section where you'll be able to record your activities quickly and easily. It will also have integrated standings, and likely a simple way to spend points. The only drawback is that this will take time to complete. It should be ready for the start of the September or October Creatures Challenges! Not too long to go until then, and I believe we'll have some sort of interim solution soon to make things somewhat easier. No matter what, please enjoy playing Creatures! If you're really struggling and getting beyond frustrated, feel free to get in touch with me and I'll do what I can to help. Good luck to everyone who's participating this month!

xan
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: DS
Favorite Game: C3/DS
Favorite Species: Grendel

Re: July 8: One Month Old!

Postby xan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:15 pm

Grats on surviving your first month.

If you wanted to go all the way with challenges, you could tie badges into it and just make a full-blown achievement system. I always thought those were neat on forums.
I will marinate you in the GPL for 4 days and then I will roast and eat you.

kezune
Busy Bee
Favorite Game: DS

Postby kezune » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:20 pm

Congrats on the 1 month milestone!

It's been a real joy getting back into Creatures again, and I'm glad to see lots of members I didn't get to know before. Thanks again for hosting this forum, Jessica!
It never hurt anybody to have thick skin, a strong back and a level head.
Designer Genes : Revived!

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:24 pm

Xan: Very true about the badges! There are some complications with fully implementing a system like this, but I have been thinking of something like this. Do you know of anything that would work in this way? I have seen a possible solution for an older version of phpBB, but alas, there doesn't seem to be anything available right now. Feel free to contact me via PM if you would like to discuss in more detail! I have the coding for a PHP site that I wrote awhile ago that can do quite a lot. In the worst case, we might at least be able to have badges and achievements within the separate Creatures Challenges section.

Kezune: Thank you! And I should be the one thanking you and everyone else who has joined: I'm just here to provide the means to connect and have fun. It's all of you who will be keeping the forum going strong! Unless, that is, you all want to see me just have conversations with myself. Ha ha! But seriously, it's wonderful to have you back in the community and loving Creatures again.

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS
Favorite Game: C2

Postby Amaikokonut » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:15 pm

Aww, has it been a month already? Time flies! I'm excited to see where this little crew goes in the future and I wish you all the best :D

xan
Everyday Egg

Postby xan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:38 pm

I sent you a PM Jessica.

It might be worth mentioning that the first thing I thought of when I stumbled on the challenges forum was 'oh, it's like Survivor but actually related to the game instead of fanfiction' and I was huge into Survivor back when I roleplayed heavily so on its nose it got my attention right away.
I will marinate you in the GPL for 4 days and then I will roast and eat you.

Kitty Tikara
Everyday Egg

Postby Kitty Tikara » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:22 am

Congratulations on the first month! I've enjoyed reading the threads here, even if I don't have much to add to most of them. The Creatures Challenges seems to have caused a flood of blog posts, which is always a nice thing to see. Plus the summer fun challenge has been an absolute joy so far. Really the only thing I don't like about them is tracking the points. It's annoying enough that I decided to just track a few things like time spent working on projects and blog posts.

C-Rex
Everyday Egg
Favorite Game: C2

Postby C-Rex » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:08 am

I can't believe it's been one month either, congratulations! :D
The Norn Nebula - My Creatures Blog - http://thenornnebula.blogspot.co.uk/
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/c-rex1
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/Rexgamer

You were born an original. Don't die a copy.

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:05 pm

Thanks for all of the kind words! Truth be told, this first month was mostly a test. If things weren't panning out and there was virtually no interest, the forum would have quietly gone away. I'm glad that didn't happen, and that everyone is really positive and happy to talk about Creatures! You all deserve the congratulations!

I've been slightly busy the past few days, as evidenced by my rather late replies and all, but I'm hoping to find time to put together the point tracking system ASAP. Kitty Tikara, you're completely right about them being annoying enough to only track major things for now. I'm hoping that will change once you only have to worry about checking boxes or doing some really simple things. No more manual writing and adding soon enough!

Return to “Forum Information”