The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

Greetings, everyone!

Join in and get to know the community!
Venithil
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C2
Favorite Species: Norn

Greetings, everyone!

Postby Venithil » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:22 am

As per the title, it's nice to be able to join the forum! ^.^
Greetings to fellow Albians and all the later space people!

I've only really gotten into Creatures starting this week. After some difficulties getting into the other simulated-life titles (Black and White I seeming highly intent on not letting me have my fun, and my Spore saves being repeatedly deleted because of outside circumstances, always around the very same phase of the game, combined with the fact that what they pass as 'evolution' is essentially just grinding levels), I got immediately interested when the bane of my existence - TV Tropes - lead me towards a title that promised little critters with actual genetics and biochemistry to them (you could say my education path made me biased... Still annoyed their DNA is entirely haploid and some aspects only manifest depending on gender, but sheesh, what a refreshing change!).

Having gotten my hands on the Albian Years, I've managed to put over 20 hours of play into Creatures 2 and while Jessica's 'blog' series is about Creatures 1, it had the sufficient D'awww effect on me to get me to join here.
With 20 hours in, there's already been plenty of Norn adorableness, sillyness, and issues...

My brain kept forcing me to suspect a narrow gene pool and occasional inbreeding as the source of problems that occasionally plagued the newborn Norns (it's rather sad to see one collapse as soon as they are born, or another one being able to survive for a while, but with no rating in 'liver' and constant breathing problems), but it seems not to be the case. The latest cutiepie children of my favorite latest generation Norn (Mixed 'standard', Gargoyle, and Frog genes) have had their own issues - the daughter died after spending several moments unattended, and the other cute bugger seems unable to feel more than 10-15% hunger on the Hunger meter, and as such keeps starving himself. I'm torn between just letting him go and continuously fixing him with Advanced Science shots, but it seems certain now that the male parent (or the mixing of his genes with the Frog norns, in any case) of these two is to blame... Although his first daughter of such a pairing was healthy, smart, and retained her amphibian ability, so I didn't lose all hope.

Sorry for focusing on the sad aspects of my adventure, but those were the most recent ones. Still, with me getting my hands on the supposedly 'smarter' Norn breeds and sitting on no more, no less than 28 eggs of various Norns (generations 4+) and Grendels (generations 2-3), I'm sure there'll be more positive aspects to that world soon!

/Ps. The story has a happy ending (or at least continuation) : After surviving into the Adolescence stage on injections and a very occasional meal alone, the little Haland actually developed an apetite in the adolescent stage. Of course, soon after the stupidity syndrome struck (I swear, after this playthrough is done, I'm exclusively using Canny / Nova Subterra / Kannova norns...). This combined with a quick injection of more Frogs produced him a Frog Norn mate in the little western jungle and he actually has an egg on the way - hopefully one which will develop a much healthier eating habit...
One day, all the weird mutant Norns, Ettins, and Grendels shall make themselves an X-Albians movie.
If you'd like to read a blog-style story of my Creatures playthroughs (including struggles with Creatures 2' "Smart" breeds [Canny, N. Subterra, Kannova], and my own genome) click Here!

If you'd like to check and download my work with the Kannova genome, click here!

C-Rex
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C2

Re: Greetings, everyone!

Postby C-Rex » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:27 am

Welcome to the forums, Venithil! I love Creatures 2 as well, but unfortunately I can only play it on my laptop as my main gaming PC runs Windows 10. I've not been very active lately, I'm afraid to say, but I do pop in every so often to check on things. You might like to have a look at my list of Creatures 2 Must-Haves on my blog, The Norn Nebula. It's full of useful stuff and things that help make the game more fun. :)
The Norn Nebula - My Creatures Blog - http://thenornnebula.blogspot.co.uk/
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/c-rex1
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/Rexgamer

You were born an original. Don't die a copy.

Venithil
Busy Bee

Postby Venithil » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:45 pm

Funny thing - I did get to find your blog several hours into playing, which allowed me to get several COBs like the breedable Etting, Boney Grendel, and so on. Issue was, I didn't know how hard it was for Norns to retain their childhood skills and as such I started and got quite deep into this playthrough without having any of the "Extra brain lobes" Norns. I do have them now, but I know introducing them into a world already filled with normal Norns will likely result in crossbreeding and multiple issues. When I start a new world, or the current population runs out, I will introduce either the Nova Subterra or Canny norns to... let them have more brainpower. I'll probably stock up on more food types, too, since you seemed to be recommending certain updates and I'm honestly using different ones. Some are quite effective but certain ones the Norns just don't want to eat - though I suppose at some point they refuse to eat anything in favor of showing off their declining language skills!

Thanks for creating that sort of blog, by the way. I'm afraid the regular Norns simply grow too silly after a certain period of time - after all this effort, Haland just decided to try and drown himself and got some really serious damage before I intervened, so a death seems likely.
One day, all the weird mutant Norns, Ettins, and Grendels shall make themselves an X-Albians movie.
If you'd like to read a blog-style story of my Creatures playthroughs (including struggles with Creatures 2' "Smart" breeds [Canny, N. Subterra, Kannova], and my own genome) click Here!

If you'd like to check and download my work with the Kannova genome, click here!

C-Rex
Everyday Egg

Postby C-Rex » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:50 pm

Sadly the norns in Creatures 2 are full of issues - my theory is the game was never completely finished - the same thing can be said for Creatures 3, as the norns are missing loads of things from their genomes. If you're having issues with drowning norns, try installing some ocean bridges, as no matter how many times your norns are saved by the pufferfish, they'll never learn to stop falling in (I'd personally prefer it if someone made invisible walls so they can't fall in, like in C1, but the ocean bridges are good enough).

Venithil
Busy Bee

Postby Venithil » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:34 am

I now have the extra bridges COB thanks to your blog. Originally I started using the Electric Gates to block the path, but they were a bit of a double-edged sword - they fascinated some of the Norns and particularly my Grendel breeds, and when amassed in one spot Grendels were actually able to glitch through them. A particularly funny example managed to have a Grendel get stuck in the middle for long enough to deactivate the gate, grab it, toss it into the pond, before trying to drown themselves, too.
I'm more knowledgeable about the anti-frustration features now thanks to looking through it and now your blog as well, but to be honest the latest drowning was partially my fault - I forgot to block the path from the other end of the pond, too, thinking no Norn will travel into the volcano and from the coconut island just to throw themselves in the water.

... How wrong was I?

C-Rex
Everyday Egg

Postby C-Rex » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:30 am

Unfortunately the pond near the Western Ocean still remains exposed, so you'll still need to use an electric gate. Do you have the silent version? I have no idea what they were thinking when they designed them with that infuriating noise.

Venithil
Busy Bee

Postby Venithil » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Frankly I was unaware there *was* a silent version. I was already plenty happy with a way to stop them from constantly suiciding ! Regrettably, the links for the quiet version appear to be down.

I started a run on which I'll be testing the 'smart' Norns, too. I'm even writing things down as I go!

SpaceShipRat
Everyday Egg

Postby SpaceShipRat » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:46 pm

A somewhat late Welcome :)

kezune
Busy Bee
Favorite Game: DS
Favorite Species: Grendel

Postby kezune » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:40 pm

Welcome to the forum! :D
It never hurt anybody to have thick skin, a strong back and a level head.
Designer Genes : Revived!

Venithil
Busy Bee

Postby Venithil » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:48 am

Thank you both for the welcome! :proud:

Return to “Introductions”