The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

Hey :-)

Join in and get to know the community!
Butterflye
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1
Favorite Species: Norn

Hey :-)

Postby Butterflye » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:47 pm

Hi All,

Hope your all doing well :-)

Following the recommended introductory questions:

I've been playing Creatures on&off since I was 10/11. Always will remember hatching my first ever Norn, a wee female brown mouse norn, who was subsequently called Bubbles & I was hooked.
When I started playing I was a bit young to understand what all the different kits were & how they could be used. So I also remember the surprise I got when Bubbles laid her first ever egg after being a bit too "friendly" with a couple of the boys lol.
Over the years I've fell away from the game and then had the urge to play it and came back to it. It has its glitches (like the floating egg), but I still love this game and Creatures ranks up there as one of my favourite games ever.
I am now in the middle of my sixth generation since returning to play it over a year ago.
I've encountered a few strange genetic mutations over the years, however not having a genetics kit means that I can't explain the cause, just the symptoms! For example, having a norn thats life force dropped to 30% and consistently remained there. Even after eating, it's life force would shoot up, then fall back to 30% within a couple of minutes. Very strange.

Anyway, it's awesome to find a creatures community still going this many years later and I hope to be a pretty active member :-)

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS
Favorite Game: C2

Re: Hey :-)

Postby Amaikokonut » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:05 pm

Hey and welcome! It's always exciting to see more C1 players.

That sounds like an interesting mutation you have on your hands! I'm not terribly experienced with C1 genetics myself, but if you still have the creature and can host the export file somewhere (TCR is a nice place if you don't mind waiting for approval) it's likely one of our resident genetic experts would love to analyze it and tell you exactly what is going on!

Hope to see you around!

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:32 pm

Welcome, Butterflye! It's wonderful to have you in the community after all these years! I took a break from Creatures for several years, too, and then realized that I missed it quite a lot. It's something that I truly enjoy, both from a casual gaming experience and from the perspective of analyzing the complex and underlying aspects.

Do you have trouble getting the Genetics Kit working, or do you not have it? Most of the official Gameware downloads are still available for free... But it can be a pain to find them. You can use this guide to find the right URLs. The links for the C1 Genetics Kit information and direct download are right near the bottom.

I'm always fascinated by genetics, too, and as Amai suggested, uploading the file somewhere will ensure that some people will want to take a look! You're also welcome to send me a PM, and we can work out something directly through e-mail. I'm still taking on Creatures for case studies when I find the time, and I don't have many in the queue right now.

Anyways, a very warm welcome to you! I hope to see you around a lot, too. Enjoy!

Butterflye
Everyday Egg

Postby Butterflye » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:04 am

Thanks guys.

I wish I still had the wee guy as it really would have been interesting to see what his mutation was, but unfortunately he passed into the big Albia in the sky a good few years ago - however now know where to go to should any more interesting mutations occur within my lot.

Jessica - its a case of I just don't have the genetics kit. I would love to have a copy of the kit as genetics and all the different mutations really interests me, but I'm not sure that I would be able to make head nor tail of what the genetics coding means. I've been reading your blog posts and I think its great how you break down what all genetic mutations are an what they mean for the wee norn. It makes for an interesting read :-)

Venithil
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C2

Postby Venithil » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:35 am

Welcome to the forums! I'm one of the newer additions so I can't say something like 'always nice to see a new face here' yet :p

There are several programs you could use if you just want to monitor the genetic changes in offspring (I.e. Slink's D-DNA Analyzer; it works for both Creatures 1 and 2) compared to parents, but if you wanted to really get into genetics the genetics kit is usually the best answer; I think Creatures 1 is a good one to start understanding genetics with given that they have a somewhat simpler biochemistry and general make-up compared to the later Creatures games. Given that's my education path in the first place I found it easy to get into creatures' genetics myself, although some parts I'm still a complete novice at (such as the brain-related genes).
One day, all the weird mutant Norns, Ettins, and Grendels shall make themselves an X-Albians movie.
If you'd like to read a blog-style story of my Creatures playthroughs (including struggles with Creatures 2' "Smart" breeds [Canny, N. Subterra, Kannova], and my own genome) click Here!

If you'd like to check and download my work with the Kannova genome, click here!

Return to “Introductions”