The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

Tracking methods?

Find information and participate each month!
Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS
Favorite Game: C2
Favorite Species: Norn

Tracking methods?

Postby Amaikokonut » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:41 pm

Jessica mentioned at the end of today's announcement that a better method of tracking challenges is in the works, but for now, I just wanted to share my method in case others find it helpful.

I can't link to the actual form because sadly they are public by default and I don't want to risk it getting spammed, but I've been using google sheets to track my progress a little more easily. It looks a little like this:
[+] Large image warning

Which then, in the spreadsheet, looks like [this], then after piping through a bunch of badly written formulas amounts to [this]. It's super convenient so now all I have to do is submit the form each time I complete something, and everything else updates.

Here is a link to a blank version of the sheet with just the formulas, in case anyone wants to make a copy and use it as a base. I enclose the point values with asterisks because that's the way the formulas parse for points. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a way to copy the form, so you'll have to make your own and paste the values in. Even without the automatic calculations though, I would highly recommend a form setup of some kind; it makes tracking this stuff so much less painful.

If any of you have a method of tracking that works well for you, feel free to share!

xan
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: DS
Favorite Game: C3/DS
Favorite Species: Grendel

Re: Tracking methods?

Postby xan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:48 pm

I use the same method of time tracking I use for other work billed by the hour + by the item. Clock 'in' when I start working on something time-based, clock 'out' when I'm done. One-off items get their own entries. I collect and tally entries on the weekends, then start again Mondays with a fresh slate. I don't pay attention to point totals until that collection stage, only the *kinds* of activities I'm tracking, much like I don't waste time calculating invoices while I'm in the middle of work.

I prefer to keep track of things by hand; I space out often enough that simply measuring eg. how long I had a program open is a poor metric, for me, of how long I was paying attention. (It also doesn't track things like research.)
I will marinate you in the GPL for 4 days and then I will roast and eat you.

Return to “Headquarters”