[size=200]The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed[/size]

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

Creatures Challenges Help and Ideas

Find information and participate each month!
Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1
Favorite Species: Norn
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Creatures Challenges Help and Ideas

Postby Jessica » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:04 pm

[font=Cuprum][size=200]Common Questions and Answers[/size][/font]

Q: Do I have to be a member of the Discover Albia Forum to participate?
A: Yes and no. In order to earn and spend points, you must be a registered member of the forum. However, if you are less than 13 years old or are otherwise unable to register, please feel free to participate on your own! You can still pick up ideas on how to enjoy Creatures and do more with the games. Points aren't everything: Have fun discovering Creatures!

Q: What happens if a prize is not unlocked by its deadline?
A: Unfortunately in this case, the prize would no longer become available. The creator would have the option to release it at a later date, but it would not be considered a successfully unlocked prize. Any points spent towards the prize would not be made available again. Make sure to spend your points carefully and pay careful attention to prize deadlines.

Q: What if multiple people spend points and go over the point threshold to unlock a prize?
A: Any overpayment in points will be given back to members to save or spend later on. "Exact change" works in our favor here!

Q: Why are you (Jessica) allowed to participate? Isn't that unfair?
A: Although I do participate, there are a few changes. First, I can never be the winner of the month. Second, I only earn points for standard activities. Third, and most importantly, my earned points are actually part of the award for each month's winner! If you win, you choose how to spend my points. You can save them for the next winner to use, or work towards unlocking a prize!

[font=Cuprum][size=200]Get Help and Post Ideas[/size][/font]

If you're confused about Creatures Challenges or need some help understanding something related to the activities, ask away! Use this topic for anything related to Creatures Challenges, including suggestions or ideas. Have some thoughts on an activity that the community might enjoy? Post it! Think an aspect could be modified to be easier or better? Share your opinion! Your question may be added to this list to help others, or your idea could be the next best thing for Creatures Challenges!

Malkin
Everyday Egg
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Creatures Challenges Help and Ideas

Postby Malkin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:04 pm

This sounds like a really interesting idea! I'd like to see [url=https://creatures.wiki/]Creatures Wiki[/url] activity get counted towards the activity quotient. Perhaps different types of activity could have different points associated with it: making new pages, adding screenshots to illustrate pages, and generally editing already-existing pages (typo fixing, adding external links, etc.).

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:10 pm

You must have read my mind, Malkin! I've got most of the July activities roughed out, and contributing to the Creatures Wiki is most certainly on there! Points will vary for different activities (not just related to the Creatures Wiki), and these will change each month so that someone who excels in a high-point activity one month doesn't get an unfair advantage every month. I believe I have it set at a certain amount of points per 100 bytes. Does that work? I imagine the first month or two will result in lots of tweaks based on feedback, yet I'm excited to get things started! Hopefully you'll be happy with how the Creatures Wiki is represented initially, but I'm certainly open to adding different sorts of things eventually. Thanks for the ideas!

Malkin
Everyday Egg

Postby Malkin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:22 pm

At certain points, it might also be better to delete stuff from an article (such as typo fixing or dead link pruning), though, which would still be a positive contribution to the wiki, although negative in its byte count. (Not to mention the trouble done where you might both add new text and take away typos in the one edit?) Maybe I'm overthinking it. :roll: We can always see how it pans out over the challenge period.

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:24 pm

Ah, that is a good point! I was thinking that the majority of contributions would end up adding stuff, but who knows. Like you said, we'll see how it all pans out, and I'm happy to make adjustments to ensure that things are getting fixed up in some manner. Overthinking is usually my specialty. Ha ha!

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS
Favorite Game: C2

Postby Amaikokonut » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:07 am

The July activities look pretty interesting! Just a few questions spring to mind:

• Can "Write a Creatures Blog Post" be combined with other activities like creating Creatures art/literature/videos? Like if I did any of the above activities and then posted the content to my blog, or if I make a release post for an agent/breed/etc would I get full points for both?

• Are there any restrictions on "Hatch a Baby Creature?" Do creatures born during wolfling runs count? Do creatures that are produced automatically (such as by the grendel/ettin mother) count?

• Likewise, are there any restrictions on "playing" creatures for a certain amount of time? Maybe one wouldn't get credit for the time the game is open during wolfling runs but sometimes I have DS open while doing other things and just check in every five minutes or so to make sure nothing terrible is happening, would that count?

Sorry if I'm coming off as nitpicky here, I guess I just figure this stuff will come up sooner or later and better to get it out of the way before we start counting, heh

kezune
Busy Bee
Favorite Game: DS
Favorite Species: Grendel

Postby kezune » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:35 pm

I had a question similar to one of Amai's.

Designer Genes is long dead but if I were to start another blog under a new title, would that count as starting a new blog/website? Y'know, despite the fact that it would still be very similar to the original blog in terms of content.
[center][size=85]It never hurt anybody to have thick skin, a strong back and a level head[/size].
[url=http://kezune.com/designergenes/]Designer Genes : Revived![/url][/center]

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Hurray for questions! Like I said, I imagine we'll be working through everything in the first few months. Just because it makes sense in my silly mind doesn't mean it's easy to understand. As I always say, never hesitate to ask away!

Amaikokonut
  • Combining activities will work! The biggest thing is that posting a blog post basically acts as a "bonus" if you share something like a piece of fanart or a video. The hidden goal there is to promote lots of activity that everyone can read about and follow along with. You're free to do things on your own without sharing them (and there are plenty of points for that) yet getting into blog posts is encouraged!

• I have no restrictions in mind about hatching babies. I realize that this may be skewed if someone just leaves a world going and then counts up the eggs, yet I count that as time involved with Creatures. If this one gets out of control, it may be replaced with a different activity over time. But for now, anybody who hatches counts! You can also decide what to count for yourself: If you feel like you weren't really involved with some eggs, those might not count for points.

• Similarly, any time you think you're playing a Creatures game will count as actual playtime! I know that wolfling runs left open for hours or days at a time might not really be considered "playing" yet these may lead to interesting genetic discoveries or someone finding some inspiration for doing more with the games. This is pretty loose and up to personal interpretation: If you feel like checking in every few minutes over an hour constitutes playing Creatures, that would count for points!

No nitpicking detected! This is also why I posted the activities so early, because there are bound to be plenty of questions.

Kezune
I would say that in this case, that would count as opening a new blog! The only thing I'm trying not to encourage is for someone to start a blog one month, make a few posts, abandon that blog, and then repeat the process over and over again. I highly doubt anyone would do that, though! But if you (or anyone else) would like to make a fresh start with a new Creatures blog or site, go for it and claim those points. This also makes me excited to even hear about this possibility!

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS
Favorite Game: C2

Postby Amaikokonut » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:34 pm

I have another possibly silly question :oops:

Does "studying" CAOS or genetics as outlined in the challenges imply learning something new, or can it just be 'doing stuff caos/genetics-development-related?' Like if I'm working on an agent and spend a lot of time coding/tweaking things, leaving the game running to stress test things, or if I'm working on a new genome and need to study the creatures as they grow to determine if the proper effects are taking place, does that fall under the 'playing creatures'-per-hour-rate or at the 'study'-per-hour-rate?

(Sorry I know you mean for this to be simple/casual I am just really bad at drawing these lines for myself :( )

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:44 pm

Not silly at all, Amai! Ideally things are completely up to you: What you think is fair will work. But I understand the question and wanting to have a real answer! I look at it like this: Would another reasonable Creatures player do something similar and earn points for it? So let's say I worked on a genetics project for an hour. That's a pretty fair amount of time, and someone else could probably spend around that much time looking at genetics. Then let's say I stay up all night and work feverishly on tweaking some ridiculous genetic issue that takes me 12 hours to get right. Am I really doing anything besides making myself frustrated and wildly tired? Would anyone else do something like that? In that instance (which I hope never happens to anyone!) I might give myself points for 1-2 hours, depending on what I actually did.

Getting back to your question, which I realize is a little different: It's up to you! Point totals will change each month, so studying vs. playing may reward more or less depending on the month. If your main goal is working on a project and getting the CAOS or genetics just right, counting that as study time would probably be best. If you're testing out a new project but find yourself truly playing the game in the middle of it all, that would likely count as normal play time.

I realize that's a little long-winded and still not too straightforward, but hopefully it helps! And no need to apologize for asking questions: That's what July is going to be all about as we all try out the challenges and the points system for the first time!

Return to “Headquarters”