The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

Creatures Challenges Help and Ideas

Find information and participate each month!
Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS
Favorite Game: C2
Favorite Species: Norn

Re: Creatures Challenges Help and Ideas

Postby Amaikokonut » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:57 pm

Haha, I really am overthinking this :P So when it comes to gray areas, it's kind of just what you feel like is fairly earned, or what you feel like you would award someone else for doing the same thing if it were up to you? I need to get out of the mindset that someone is going to patrol my computer like 'UM EXCUSE ME WHY isn't DS your active window, you better NOT be counting these hours right now, are you even paying ATTENTION to that norn, I see your eyes glazing over there, you...you NORN IGNORER you'

Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1

Postby Jessica » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:46 am

Well actually I was thinking of creating an agent that would patrol your computer to do EXACTLY that. Something like an angry grazer who mooed when it thought you were cheating. Just kidding! Ha! You're exactly right: Gray areas are up to each person to consider. If it seems like you're getting a ridiculous amount of points for doing very little, or if it seems like no one else would reasonably earn those points in the same way, you probably want to reconsider how much you're counting.

But I hope it isn't too much work! Ideally these are just added bonuses to enjoy Creatures some more. I'm sure things will be more exciting when there are actual community prizes to work towards, so consider this month one where you can save up for the future.

xan
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: DS
Favorite Game: C3/DS
Favorite Species: Grendel

Postby xan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:11 am

What's the logic behind the score for releasing an entire metaroom being lower than the score for starting(!) a project? Was it meant to be 50 points per interior room or something?
I will marinate you in the GPL for 4 days and then I will roast and eat you.

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:20 pm

This month's point totals are basically just a random assortment of values... Mainly so I could get an idea of what's going on! I also figured that no one was ready to release a metaroom, but projects might quickly start up. Each month the point system will change so that no one gets an unfair advantage. The changing values are also meant to encourage different ways of enjoying Creatures: For example, one month might have really high point totals for doing stuff with genetics, but you may not be familiar with genetic principles. So that might spark a little more action in that area... Theoretically and hopefully!

I'll be gathering feedback towards the end of this month in preparation for August. Sounds like there are some things that could be improved upon (and there will be an announcement later today) but I consider this a rather messy month. Ha!

xan
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: DS
Favorite Game: C3/DS
Favorite Species: Grendel

Postby xan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:05 pm

Ah, OK. 'Salting' and biasing point payouts at semi-random makes sense for keeping things fresh.
I will marinate you in the GPL for 4 days and then I will roast and eat you.

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:44 pm

Just a quick note that the August Creatures Challenges may start a couple of days late. My apologies for my current absence! Life is super busy, but in some very good ways. We'll also be using a simplified point system in August where you'll simply need to record what you did each day. So, for instance, you'll earn a set number of points if you played one day or did some other activities. This is only to make things easy in the interim while a database system is being setup! Eventually, you'll be able to earn points without needing to do a whole lot of manual work. Much better!

I think we'll also have some discussions open up in August to get some more ideas on what activities can award points, and any other improvements you might enjoy seeing. Check back soon!

Malkin
Everyday Egg

Postby Malkin » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:20 pm

What about a future challenge for TCR creatures? I'd be happy to help out with that.

Jessica
Discover Albia

Postby Jessica » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:38 pm

Sounds perfect, Malkin! Just a note to everyone that I will finally have an announcement posted soon, and work will begin on that section I promised. Apologies for the delay! Creatures Challenges will most definitely continue, and suggestions like yours are always welcome. TCR could certainly use some more love, and I know I haven't used it as much as I could. I'll gladly work with you when I'm ready to get some other challenges on board, and we'll make sure TCR is a part of the fun!

Malkin
Everyday Egg

Postby Malkin » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:28 pm

There's also the Puzzle Cure challenge for all the nurturing types out there... that'd be fun to include. :)

Return to “Headquarters”