After getting into Creatures 2 I obviously encountered the same problems as everyone, and eventually my patience to the original breeds has run out. Thankfully, of course, not only did I encounter C-Rex Norn Nebula blog before, I was reminded of it here.
This has lead to me creating a blog-like documentation of my attempts with the three 'core' breeds of supposedly smarter norns (I may start posting that documentation on here later, if anyone is interested). However, I immediately got distracted by another aspect. If you're only interested in the breed itself, please skip the box below:
- [+] On my N.S. experiences
- When I hatched my first norn for that group, a Nova Subterra female named Aine, I totally got attached to her! She was everything I hoped a Norn could be and I had an immense amount of fun raising and playing with her and there's just one issue...
She never bred.
In fact, my entire 4 people generation I of Nova Subterras never bred. There was a single kisspop during the entire 3+ hours it took 3 of them to reach elderly age and lose fertility, and I now know how that kisspop was obtained.
This has led to me testing around and while Subterras are, indeed, smart and good at surviving and giving each other space (in the first case, mostly if taught), it seems they only breed when virtually forced to and taught by the player actively inside of a high population density. Checking, it became pretty apparent what the problem was - NS just never got in the mood with one another. Their mating pheromone levels and sex drive were consistently at zero no matter what or how close they got. A total flatline.
I don't know much about how Norn brains work yet, but as a person who is totally into that stuff IRL, I eagerly got into biochemistry and genetics of these Norns, hoping to create a more newbie-friendly breed that got into it better! Essentially I worked on giving the Norns a natural sex drive dependent on hormone levels in particular.
I have achieved this purpose and lost for a different reason - Subterras seem to hardly perceive each other at all. Even at high sex drive levels, they only kisspop if efficiently instructed to or if they are incredibly used to the other Norn. Matter of fact ALL kisspops (failed, I might add) of Subterras [and the failed Subterra derivative I created] in my games only happened between Norns that were hatched next to each other at roughly the same time and known each other since childhood for most of their lives - it's like Norns that are strangers don't even register no matter how high the duo's sex drive is or how much pheromones are injected into participants! I simply had to give up when I placed both of the test Norns inside a small space and they exclaimed how 'intensely friendly' both were but appeared to be far more interested in wallbonking than they were in each other.
So I turned my attention to another breed that highly interested me, the less-known Kannovas. An author created a breed with some of the brain lobes of both Cannys and Nova Subterras, and while it was only experimental reportedly they are quite viable, can survive without excess stupidty and what interested me the most their children with Canny Norns actually survive and retain Canny brain lobes.
This project is twofold :
- Create a set of eggs of altered Kannova breed with different base non-mutated 'models' (original Kannovas are only Spotted or however the non-Emerald non-Pixie base breed is called).
- Incorporate my work from failed Nova Subterra experiment to create a second, altered breed with alternative sex drive mechanisms.
Changes to the regular breed :
- They gained heavy metal resistance (Not immunity!). This breed slowly metabolizes Heavy Metals into Pain and Tiredness if unprompted (activated in adolescence), and if they have enough Aminoacids they are able to slowly metabolize EDTA for themselves (activated in youth, result 5 Heavy Metal + 2 Aminoacid = 5 HM + 1 EDTA per 5 seconds.) I was already succesful in this, but only tested the resistance with metal injections and never brought them to the volcano itself to calibrate how well they survive this. The popular Bony Grendel genome handled that differently becoming effectively immune to the volcano.
- They gain additional family instincts : No Child+Parent breeding (doesn't affect siblings), different reactions to pats and slaps from siblings and parents.
- A gentle anti-wallbonking set of 2 genes remniscient of what was put in an altered Canny breed that reportedly doesn't wallbonk. This breed receives reward if they retreat from a wall once bumping into it and receive (less) punishment if they approach a wall when already near it. So far, it has worked, but the Norns are still fairly young so accumulation of bonus reward and punishment may lead to OHSS, still. // Update : Norns develop wallbonking issues if they're kept in pairs or larger groups within a small area for a long time (2 norns in the 'upper' incubator area seems to strike them with wallbonking and general OHSS after 30-60 minutes spend cramped together there once they enter childhood; any open area or closed area as large or larger than the bottom incubator room seems to never create these problems).
- As I mentioned, Kannovas can reportedly breed with Cannys in an efficient manner without the bugs and deaths associated with Canny-regular and Canny-Nova Subterra crossbreeding. I'd like to see if the changes I made can also be bred into Canny lines. // Only feature remaining completely untested.
Changes (partially tested) to the altered breed :
- Low-level constant sex drive above certain ages. HEAVILY dependent on cholesterol, and less so, fat accessible to the Norn.
- Lowered sex drive gains from interaction.
- Testosterone and LH have a role in both males and females.
- Lower fertility of males in Adolescent stage. Higher from Youth+ stage.
- Fertility dependent on cholesterol and fat accessible.
- Heavily altered cholesterol metabolism (More efficient, but more is consumed in fertility-related processes). This may need more calibration.
- Effectively, whether or not those Norns breed depends on how much fat-rich food is accessible!
- All the changes present in the regular breed.
I have created a ----> Trello board <----for this project.
If anyone would like to help me test the heavily-altered breed, I'll leave a Google Drive download below. Their life has been shortened to the regular rate of aging to help with testing. I'll also leave downloads for the regular breed in there once I am certain the genes meant for it inherit, work in a manageable way, and I have created the eggs and genome for all three traditional models.
----> Download folder<----- // Now also includes separate folders for late-prototype Regular breeds!
Any comments, suggestions, questions, and warnings are welcome!
If you're interested in testing things out with this, I can give pointers on what to look out for.
Update : The family-instincts work and are inheritable. This means I only need to finish calibrating them and the Heavy Metal resistance, and then make a good set of official breed-based eggs, for the base version to be 'finished' in terms of a playable prototype.
Update 2 : I'm uploading a second prototype version of the altered breed. The first prototype was 'manageable', but certain aspects hit males too hard and females were let off too easily. This should alter the issue somewhat. Big hints : Males become much more viable in terms of fertility at 'Youth" than they are as "Adolescents", and the anti-wallbonking script performs decently enough as long as you don't raise or keep two Norns for prolonged periods inside a very small area. To put things in perspective :
- The bottom room of the incubator seems to be the minimum for two norns.
- Keeping two Norns for over 1 hours together inside the upper room of the incubator area hit them with religious wallbonking and much of other aspects of OHSS. Conversely, a 2nd generation male only taught by his mother over an open area performs well as far as survival goes if there's food nearby.
- The 'Standard' breed reached the final phase, so I'm uploading the versions for each 'standard' Norn breed as far as the regular Norn versions go. Two problems I seem to have is that I am not certain whether or not there's any specific action in coding Instincts that means a separate 'petting' action for Norns (Activate Norn 1 seems to be kisspop, whle Activate Norn 2 is definitely a simple kiss), and that my color alterations did not seem to affect the norns as I wanted, at least for Generation 1 Norns.
- The standard breed only differs from regular Kannovas in the additional anti-wall and anti-state need mechanisms, both fairly light and subtle, in family mechanisms and instincts I've added, Pigment and Pigment Bleed genes, and in additional resistance to Heavy Metals. All the other work was already present in regular Kannova breed. Kannovas were created by Ettina as an attempt to mix Nova Subterras by LummoxJR and Canny Norns by Chris Double and Lis Morris. Other than mentioned alterations, all credit goes to these people.
- In the regular breed, family mechanisms have been lowered in terms of effects - presence of a sibling alone should no longer absolutely kill any boredom a Norn has in a matter of two seconds, although it's still very effective!