The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

Project Tracking Recommendations

Discover what other players are working on.
xan
Everyday Egg
Currently Playing: DS
Favorite Game: C3/DS
Favorite Species: Grendel

Project Tracking Recommendations

Postby xan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:56 am

This is not a project, so move it where you feel most appropriate, but it's relevant to project-working specifically so I post it here for now.

Since I use it heavily to keep track of my freelance work, I figured anyone working on a Creatures project who was not already aware of it might want to hear about Trello: https://trello.com/

Basically, it's a list of lists, kept online, and you can set it to be private or public-visible-to-the-web. But functionally, on a project, I use it to keep a list of 'to do' tasks, 'doing' tasks, and 'done' tasks. 'Doing' might seem redundant, but it's VITAL for picking a project back up after a week of downtime and figuring out where I was. (Doubly useful for Creatures projects where it's easy to be doing 5 things at once and get wires crossed.) 'Done' is nice motivational fuel.

And, it's very slick for showing -others- exactly where you are and what you're doing next, when the public functionality is used.

Also keeps a log of what you completed and *when* (very useful for figuring out how long certain kinds of jobs take you on average), and lets you break complex things down into checklists. Hope someone here finds it as handy as me!

(I'm not getting referrals or anything out of this if it's unclear, I just think it's a nice tool.)
Last edited by Jessica on Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Stickied and made into a topic for all project recommendations
I will marinate you in the GPL for 4 days and then I will roast and eat you.

Amaikokonut
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C3/DS
Favorite Game: C2
Favorite Species: Norn

Re: Project Tracking Recommendations

Postby Amaikokonut » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:08 pm

Huh, I've used Trello in the past, but never thought of using it for Creatures-related projects. I'm not sure why not, now that I think about it. It's a great system.

Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1
Favorite Species: Norn

Postby Jessica » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:38 pm

That's a really neat idea! I've never heard of Trello before, yet it seems extremely useful. Thanks for sharing it! I've also stickied your post and made it a little more open to any and all project tracking recommendations. Everyone has such great ideas, and anything to help keep a Creatures project moving forward is a good thing!

xan
Everyday Egg

Postby xan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:43 pm

cool, general rec thread it is.

In that case I have to point out git for source tracking (if you can make sense of it, anyway. the learning curve is a 90 degree angle) for CAOS. A bit overkill, probably less so if one was already familiar with it. Helps keep track of what you were doing and allow roll-backs to functioning versions of scripts, as well as group collaboration on a single script or group of scripts if it ever comes up. https://git-scm.com/

Malkin
Everyday Egg

Postby Malkin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:08 pm

What do you think about https://github.com, xan?

xan
Everyday Egg

Postby xan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:26 pm

Malkin wrote:What do you think about https://github.com, xan?

It's a good service. I don't use it anymore personally, but for programming project coordination it's hard to beat.

Return to “Projects”