The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

Activate (Norn) 1 vs Activate (Norn) 2 vs Pet Creature [C2]

Get help related to every Creatures question!
Venithil
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C2
Favorite Species: Norn

Activate (Norn) 1 vs Activate (Norn) 2 vs Pet Creature [C2]

Postby Venithil » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:39 pm

Type of Question: C2

Full Question: What's what with Norns 'activating' Norns? Does Activate 1 become a kisspop only if Norns are ready to mate, or is Norn petting a Norn governed by an entirely different action?

Details and Other Information: It would likely take quite a while to confirm this in-the-game, so it's best that I ask that question here.
I am trying to complete a breed alteration through the Genetics kit in Creatures 2.
Since I have noticed 'Male Mating Instinct" uses "Activate Norn 1", I have limited all friend-based interaction instincts to being tied to Activate Norn 2, thinking it'll make them do more petting/scratching each other.

However, at this time, all I get are regular kisses.
What's what with Norns 'activating' Norns? Does Activate 1 become a kisspop only if Norns are ready to mate, or is Norn petting a Norn governed by an entirely different action?

The bonus instinct relate to family interactions. Children were supposed to get extra boosts from being pet by siblings and parents, but I don't know if they're getting them from kisses! I know my other family-based instincts and stimuli work okay (well, not sure about siblings hitting each other yet), but I don't want to set siblings to gain rewards from "Activate 1"-ing each other if this makes them more likely to kisspop! While I only blocked parent-child mating, setting siblings up to actually be *more* likely to mate would be a step in the wrong way, too.
One day, all the weird mutant Norns, Ettins, and Grendels shall make themselves an X-Albians movie.
If you'd like to read a blog-style story of my Creatures playthroughs (including struggles with Creatures 2' "Smart" breeds [Canny, N. Subterra, Kannova], and my own genome) click Here!

If you'd like to check and download my work with the Kannova genome, click here!

Malkin
Everyday Egg

Re: Activate (Norn) 1 vs Activate (Norn) 2 vs Pet Creature [C2]

Postby Malkin » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:37 pm

So which action corresponds to 'hit'? Because I'm sure I've seen my C2 creatures bashing each other around. I know in C1 that push (activate 1) is tickle/kisspop and pull (activate 2) is hit... does this hold for C2?

Venithil
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C2

Postby Venithil » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:55 am

In Creatures 2 genetic kit there's a separate action for 'hitting' that just states "Hit it" when applying. 'Courting instinct' in both males and females encourages them to use 'Activate 2', while "Mating instinct" apparently exclusive to males encourages them to use Activate 1.
One day, all the weird mutant Norns, Ettins, and Grendels shall make themselves an X-Albians movie.
If you'd like to read a blog-style story of my Creatures playthroughs (including struggles with Creatures 2' "Smart" breeds [Canny, N. Subterra, Kannova], and my own genome) click Here!

If you'd like to check and download my work with the Kannova genome, click here!

Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1

Postby Jessica » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:18 pm

I'm more familiar with how things work in Creatures 1, but from what I've noticed, activate 1 (push) can involve all sorts of positive encounters ranging from scratches, to kisses, to kisspops. The interesting thing is that the Grendel Friendly COB in C1 allows Grendels to use the activate 1 (push) action. The side effect? Grendels and Norns can be friendly, but they can also kisspop! As far as I can tell, activate 1 encompasses all positive actions and the one that occurs is governed by other factors. Seems like there might be a check for age and gender in the background?

Activate 2 (pull) is, as Malkin said, equivalent to hitting and slapping in Creatures 1. This is why I get a little sad if I see someone say "pull Jessica" because I know they're after me! In Creatures 2, it seems like a potential oversight in the genetics to use activate 2 instead of hit when referencing Creature interactions. The "pull" action is typically used for another direction for vehicles, or for doing something different with some objects (like toys). I honestly haven't spent a lot of time looking at it in detail.

Have you tried to change all instances of activate 2 with hit in relation to instincts associated with Creature interactions? I wonder if that might make things clearer... Instincts in and of themselves are rather odd, in that they often take a backseat to the actual experiences a Creature encounters during his or her life.

Hopefully this gives you some other things to think about... More than two months later. Ha!

Return to “Questions and Answers”