The Discover Albia Forum is Now Closed

Thank you for a short but wonderful experience! Due to time constraints and other factors, the forum is now archived and is no longer open to new registrations nor posts. All existing content can be seen for the time being. Thanks again, and I wish everyone all the best!

Please note that the forum may be permanently removed in the future, so please save any content sooner rather than later. No advance notice of this action will occur.

Hive Mind Ettins Issues [C2]

Get help related to every Creatures question!
Venithil
Busy Bee
Currently Playing: C2
Favorite Species: Norn

Hive Mind Ettins Issues [C2]

Postby Venithil » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:30 pm

Type of Question: C2

Full Question: Did the Hive Mind Ettins ever cause anyone serious issues when used with another breed already in the world? What is the correct brain structure for these Ettins?
Details and Other Information: Sorry for posting two questions in the same day, but nevertheless, I've had a certain problem with the Hive Mind Ettins. Two to be exact.

- I had to install them over my Kimahri norns (which I haven't used up to that point in time), and it caused a small sprite issue where they'd turn very norn-like at a certain age. I fixed that, but might've accidentally tossed out some sprites of the Ettins themselves at the same time - I remained unsure, but I now have reinstalled all sprites. Before that, when I hatched a second Hive Mind Ettin, the game stopped saving itself and the world bugged out (I had a backup, so no tragedy). It's also been working a little slower. First question : Did the Hive Mind Ettins ever cause anyone serious issues when used with another breed already in the world? Mechanical or otherwise? Or could've that been caused solely by the sprite issues?

- The hive mind ettin brain displays oddly in my Neuroscience kit.They have a LOT of brain lobes and many of them appear to be occupying the same space. Whenever I hatch them with the Ettin Selector applet active, they turn out having brains like this. When i hatched one in a world where I didn't have the applet, they were displayed as 'norns' in the breeding kit and their brains were a lot less messy (very similar to Nova Subterra structure). What is the correct brain structure for these Ettins? Is the overlapping brainlobes something normal?
This <-- is how the brain is displayed in my game.
One day, all the weird mutant Norns, Ettins, and Grendels shall make themselves an X-Albians movie.
If you'd like to read a blog-style story of my Creatures playthroughs (including struggles with Creatures 2' "Smart" breeds [Canny, N. Subterra, Kannova], and my own genome) click Here!

If you'd like to check and download my work with the Kannova genome, click here!

Malkin
Everyday Egg

Re: Hive Mind Ettins Issues [C2]

Postby Malkin » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:02 am

The documentation for the hive mind ettins suggests that they were based on the Canny brain.. :hypnotized:

Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1

Postby Jessica » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:35 pm

I've always found the Hive Mind Ettins fascinating, since they're exceptionally unique with their empathy. I tested them out at one point, although it was mainly to make sure they actually worked! I don't think I had any beyond childhood.

Multiple Breeds and Issues
Even while testing many other breeds, I never had a problem with the Hive Mind Ettins. Missing sprites may have caused issues, although I've never faced any crashes with these missing files. However, Creatures 2 certainly knows how to bug out when it wants to! Normally a missing sprite will just mean that the game uses the nearest one, and that shouldn't really slow down a world. Did it crash while you had the Hive Mind COB installed, too?

Brain Structure
Did you inject the Hive Mind COB? This seems to be a requirement in order to allow them to properly use all of the new lobes and pheromone system. As Malkin mentioned, these are based on the Canny Norns, and you can see an example of what the brain lobes should look like. The image doesn't show a Hive Mind brain, which has more lobes, but you shouldn't see any overlap. This typically only happens when there is a mutation.

Forgive the silly question, but what is the Ettin Selector applet? If it's another COB or program, I wonder if there might be a conflict that's creating the problems. The Game State Controller should allow you to select Grendels and Ettins without any trouble. But chances are I'll laugh at myself when you say that's exactly what you're using. Ha!

Venithil
Busy Bee

Postby Venithil » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:51 pm

I tried various combinations (Injecting the cob first and then hatching Ettins; injecting the cob after hatching Ettins, etc.). Having two Ettins always lead to a crash in a world with other creature breeds already present.

The Ettin & Grendel Selection Applet is one of these couple of things you pick up in the game that you can skip over and activate with Game State Controller. Of note is the fact that ever since I switched compatibility modes I can no longer select Hive Mind Ettins at all if I don't have the Selection Applet picked up or activated through Game State Controller.
One day, all the weird mutant Norns, Ettins, and Grendels shall make themselves an X-Albians movie.
If you'd like to read a blog-style story of my Creatures playthroughs (including struggles with Creatures 2' "Smart" breeds [Canny, N. Subterra, Kannova], and my own genome) click Here!

If you'd like to check and download my work with the Kannova genome, click here!

Jessica
Discover Albia
Currently Playing: C1
Favorite Game: C1

Postby Jessica » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:30 pm

It might be worth testing the breed and COB out some more... I'll see if I can find some time to try them out to see if I can duplicate the same sort of crash. It would be a shame if it was a universal issue, although I guess the way around it would be to have a world solely dedicated to Hive Mind Ettins.

Ah, so we were talking about the same thing. Silly me, as usual! What you're describing sounds like the way the game is supposed to work, regardless of compatibility modes. Since the breed is classified as an Ettin, you'll need some way to select Ettins since the base game doesn't allow Ettins (nor Grendels) to be selected in a brand new world. Hope that answers that part of the issue, at least! It's been a long day, though, so feel free to laugh if I'm just going down the wrong path.

Venithil
Busy Bee

Postby Venithil » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:10 am

Now, my Injector Kit crashes when I select Hive Mind cob.
Not inject, select.
Geez.

I think I'll reinstall Creatures 2 fresh soon.

Return to “Questions and Answers”