Here, There, and Everywhere in Creatures 1

With all the hubbub around the Grendel sprites, my main Creatures 1 world had been in stasis for a bit longer than I intended. Fortunately, I was to be rewarded with one of my best visits to Albia in some time! Angharad decided to find a little privacy, where she could lay her egg in peace. She had actually had a fairly uneventful pregnancy, despite her diminished capacity to eat. She promptly looked at her shiny new egg, and curled up next to it. What an effort it had taken for something so small! Compared to her body, though, that egg looked enormous!

Love danced upon the ocean breezes, and set a spell upon Eilonwy and Coll. Amazingly, it only took a couple of carrots to revive him and bring him back to a healthier state. The little couple watched the ball bounce before them, and pretty soon there would be another somewhat circular object for them to watch over! I feared that Coll would never become a father with his terribly inefficient independence, but he seemed to have it all planned out. His blue eyes looked brighter than ever with Eilonwy.

The Norns were not the only ones having a wonderful time! Ellidyr and Achren met up again near the garden, as if they never could leave one another for long. In a few moments, Achren surprised me with an egg: I had forgotten all about her pregnancy! It was a very welcome surprise, indeed. On the subject of Grendels, my project continues! The baby male Grendel is almost all set, and I will be updating the adult and senior males this week. The females will require extra time, yet I am happy with the progress. Now that I have a good understanding of sprites and body data, I eventually hope to tackle the many small issues inherent in C1 Norns.

I was so accustomed to finding the Norns and Grendels huddled together, that I nearly jumped when I spotted Dallben in the cable car above the garden! Toys and gadgets had become things of the past for him, and nothing could erase his boredom. When an opportunity to jump inside the bright red cable car presented itself, Dallben nearly flew out of the window in his enthusiasm! Halfway through the journey, he decided that it was much safer to return to where he had come from. Strange how many Norns can never take a direct trip to the settlement. Dallben spotted Doli riding the lift nearby, but decided to freeze and act like he wasn’t there. It worked! Actually, Dallben could have jumped around.

Another Norn had traveled quite far, and all by herself. Dwyvach decided that the laburnum made a nice background ornament to her ponderous pondering. I was proud of her for not eating it, although I had to roll my eyes a few minutes later when she couldn’t resist reaching out for the flower. No harm done, thankfully! Recall that she has a mutation in one of her receptors that generates fear from boredom. Although I had yet to graph this phenomenon in the science kit, it appeared to be working: She often adopted the fearful gait after she was bored. Was this the reason for her isolation?

The constant buzzing of life made me nearly forget all about the newest life: Fflewddur! When I had last seen him, he was hanging around the incubator at nearly twenty minutes old. He also had yet to encounter another living creature, which must have been a lonely existence. With no help from the hand, Fflewddur took matters into his own hands and set off on an adventure. He kept moving his tiny feet until he was as far from his birthplace as he could get. Here, he was immensely pleased to find another living soul and experience all the joys of Norn conversations! Eilonwy was happy to have a youngster to teach and raise as her own.

Eilonwy’s maternal instincts were very acute, for she had just laid an egg nearby. She knew that her egg had the toughest shell, and that it was safe to leave it to grow on its own. Coll wasn’t convinced, however: He made it his mission to guard his egg with his life! He wore a very serious expression on his face, and I left him alone… No sense trying to convince him to leave something he treasured so much! I hoped that Coll would leave the egg alone when I had to move it and prevent its premature hatching. All the same, it was a nice change of pace to see a Norn act like a protective father to an unborn baby Norn.

There was one Norn who was decidedly absent… And that was Doli. Doli, who loved to ride a lift up and down for ten minutes at a time. Doli, who ate when he had the time. Doli, who had no idea what to do with an herb. Doli was just… Doli! Even though I would have been bored to tears with his lifestyle, he only had a frown when he neglected his rumbling tummy for too long. I just hoped he would figure out that herbs were for pushing, not pulling!

4 Comments
« Previous Post | Next Post »