The Early Onset of Old Age and Glitches

Korgen escaped from the clutches of Alfhild, yet the constant stress brought about his old age in record time. He was under six hours old when the gray hairs started to cloud his head! It was an interesting look for a Norn, since only his head shrunk in size. At least he was relieved and happy, regardless of his physical appearance! Even though Korgen was the youngest of the four current Norns, his aging chemical was the lowest by a noticeable amount. When this reached a value of zero, his life would reach its end. Stressed creatures have shorter lifespans, which is why it is so important to teach them how to care for themselves… Or do it for them. Hopefully the latter part of Korgen’s life would be much better than his start.

Without her friend, Alfhild was very upset. She was the first Grendel I did not particularly like, though… Alfhild was far too violent, and had abused Korgen to the point of exhaustion. All of the eggs were stored on the platform above the island, yet she managed to grab the one which reminded her most of Korgen! She “wore” this egg for a spell, but couldn’t fool anyone into thinking she was related to a Santa Norn! Maybe without Korgen, Alfhild would improve her attitude. Nothing came to mind as a traumatic experience during her life: All of the Norns had welcomed her. I had the Grendel Friendly COB installed, although I did double check! Apparently, Alfhild was just a grumpy Grendel: The Norn variety also exists from time to time!

As if the starch glitch wasn’t enough, along came the dreaded flying egg glitch! The one belonged to Hopen and Inndyr. This egg will never grow, and never hatch, yet its presence usually marks a problematic world. Oddly enough, its appearance seemed to stop the starch glitch. Still, I’ll be happy when I can start fresh again! These glitches are the one big downside to Creatures 1. If only I knew enough to figure out what caused them, and how to come up with viable solutions! Alas, I wouldn’t know where to begin in the code.

Soon, I discovered that Inndyr had entered old age and shrunk to the size of a respectable elder Norn. My main concern over him was the fact that he had the most difficult time sleeping: Only creatures which stay still during sleep actually feel the benefits. Inndyr moved about in an endless sleepwalk that gave him no comfort. He was lucky to get a few good naps in, yet I constantly had to keep an eye on his sleeping habits. Blame it on that blasted flying egg!

« Previous Post | Next Post »