First Generation Genetic Mutations

Arik and Eydis soon found their ways to relatively safe regions of Albia, which granted me the opportunity to hatch another female in the world. The incubator never rests for long in a new world! The genetic code of a Norn is created at the moment of conception in the wild: For hatchery eggs, the genetic code is created when the egg is first placed in the incubator. I cheated a bit and took a look at the upcoming Norn’s genes: Never hurts to be a genetics nerd in Creatures 1! Unfortunately, I uncovered several mutations that did not appear to be very promising. Although first generation Norns have genetics relatively similar to the standard D-DNA, there is always the possibility for serious mutations. Recall that in the past, we witnessed a stillborn Norn because she lacked the initial concentration of glucose necessary to survive. In this case, I knew that this unknown Norn would live, yet the consequences of her mutations were very puzzling.

Receptors

Chemical receptors define parameters for a certain chemical. When these parameters are met, an element in the Creature is affected. These genes can increase drives, define life stages, control fertility, and more.

Mutation: 153 Creature, tissue 18, locus 0, chem = Oestrogen, thresh = 0, nom = 0, gain = 255
Default: 153 Creature, Reproductive, become fertile if high, chem=Oestrogen, thresh = 0, nom = 0, gain = 255

This gene directly affects the fertility in a female Norn, which greatly worried me. The goal of Creatures is to continue through as many generations as possible. I have a feeling that this gene renders her completely infertile, but as a genetics amateur, I suppose that time will tell for sure!

Reactions

Chemical reactions define rules for individual chemicals and chemical combinations. These genes can also state the rules for how chemicals are used up, and each reaction has a defined half-life to determine how often it occurs.

Mutation: 71 17*Pain- + 1*Pain => 1*Reward; half-life = 8
Default: 71 1*Pain- + 1*Pain => 1*Reward; half-life = 8

This gene controls how a pain decrease will interact with pain in order to reward a creature. In the mutated case, it appears that the Norn will require a greater concentration of pain decrease in order to receive a reward. This could be dangerous, for it means that the Norn will not learn how to decrease pain as well.

Stimuli

Stimuli genes define the chemicals that a Creature expects to receive in response to an action. These actions can range from interactions with the hand to involuntary actions like coughing or sneezing.

Mutation: 94 ‘It is approaching‘ causes sig=128 GS neu = 1(I’ve been slapped) int-255
Default: 94 ‘Creature slaps me’ causes sig=128 GS neu = 1(I’ve been slapped) int-255

All of these genes have been cut down to focus on the differences. This stimulus creates 80*Pain++ + 32*Fear++ + 16*Anger++ + 16*Sleepiness- otherwise known as a lot of chaos! It makes sense when a creature is slapped: It should be quite an unpleasant experience. In the mutated case, the Norn will receive this reaction when something is approaching. I can not positively say that the “It” refers only to other creatures, or if other objects are included. A little enlightenment from those who know about genetics would be very helpful! The downside to this gene is that the Norn will find it very unpleasant to have someone approaching her. On the other hand, though, does this mean that when she is slapped by another creature, she feels nothing? Another question!

The moment she emerged from her egg, however, I cared very little for the genetics behind those soft eyes. Meet little Signe, which is a Norse name for new victory, and is pronounced [SIG-nee]. Her birth brought the final official breed into Albia, although it was difficult to tell if the Banana Norn genes would pass down. Norns who are infertile or otherwise unable to reproduce are not to be ignored: They can sometimes be the best teachers for youngsters, or the most loyal companions to other Norns and Grendels. Signe had only taken her first breaths, yet I was anxious to understand how her world would be different from that of Eydis and Arik. Would she prefer to be a solitary creature, afraid and angry over the presence of others? Or would she lead a happy life in Albia, nurtured by my unwavering presence?

4 Comments
« Previous Post | Next Post »