Albian Life on the Horizon

The doors to the incubator stood warmly open to the first Norn egg that had entered Albia in ages. The back story to Creatures was always somewhat vague and unfinished, yet it created a sense of suspense that never ceases to dissipate. After I transported the red and yellow egg into the world (which Silvak and ArchDragon should enjoy!), it was only a matter of seconds before the sole Norn would emerge. The world was at a standstill, and I delicately carried the egg towards the Shee contraption. Anticipation took root: This was the moment when it all began!

As excited as I was, I took a moment to cheat a little bit and take a look at the D-DNA of the expectant Norn. The pause feature has always been wonderful! First generation Norns have the possibility of having multiple genetic mutations, which makes the hatchery eggs just as interesting as those laid in the wild. My personal experience has never included dramatic mutations to begin with, but the opportunity always remains. Fortunately in this case, the only mutations occurred in terms of several pigment genes. I have yet to fully understand Norn genetics, although it is never too late to jump in! Any explanations about the C1 pigment genes would be very helpful at this point. However, I was hard pressed to spend too much time delving into Norn genetics. The little life was suspended in time, as the tiny shadow flickered in motion. The sounds of a cracking egg filled Albia, and as the incubator finished its work, I was anxious to meet this new Norn.

A little baby Norn opened her eyes and offered an enormous smile, and I instantly fell in love. Meet Eydis! Pronounced [I-dees], her name is of Norse origin, meaning goddess of the island. Perhaps she will make a journey to the desert island when she grows up! It did not take long for her to learn my name, and we traveled up the lift to the computer. Note that newborn Norns can be taught to eat or learn first, generally speaking. I always choose to teach baby Norns the basic concepts at first, mainly because this makes communication possible. Norns can also learn the word and then demonstrate the concept. In the context of eating, “push food” only means something once the words have been taught. Feeding a Norn prior to any learning is not necessarily wrong, though! Indeed, perhaps it facilitates better learning: Recall the days of going to school or work on an empty stomach?

Fortunately, Eydis was so mesmerized by the learning computer that she briefly forgot all about food! As soon as she spoke each word correctly four or five times, I whisked a couple of carrots from the garden to her outstretched arms. I loved how she gobbled up the first carrot without even understanding what to call it! Eydis was thrilled with her first meal, and I expected her to rush off in search of something else to discover. Instead, she quietly laid down. After I inquired what she was up to, her little voice indicated her desire to rest for a bit. What other surprises would little Eydis have in store?

Note: I utilize a customized vocabulary set in Creatures 1. The default concept word is “sleep” but I choose to use “rest” for two main reasons. A creature who lays down while awake can receive a reduction in exhaustion, and when a stubborn Norn refuses to sleep, a short rest is often the best one can expect! The second reason is more simple: I find it easier to type “rest” over “sleep.” I will make note of any other custom vocabulary terms I use!

2 Comments
« Previous Post | Next Post »