A New Kind of Friendship

Many apologies for the lack of updates over the last week: Part of me is still devastated over such a huge loss, but thankfully I’m ready to continue on with the remaining Norns and Grendel! I also had my wisdom teeth out, which really wasn’t too bad, but the pain killers made me a little loopy… I don’t think Albia would have fared too well with a half-conscious caretaker!

As expected, a new Grendel entered the world shortly after Xodin passed away. Meet Zorich! He made his way all the way to the garden before I could find him: He is most certainly an adventurous lad! One odd side effect of our tragic plague was the near extinction of the carrots. Once eaten by an ill Norn, the carrot seedling never made it back to the garden. Zorich seemed to spread some cheer, though, for the carrots returned shortly after he made his way through! Seemed like he knew just how to make the garden come back to life.

To make life a little more fair, I downloaded several COBs to make Albia and Creatures 1 a better place for Grendels. Pictured here is a wonderful Grendel selector button: I wanted to plan ahead, and used one which is supposed to work with multiple Grendels. This can be found at Creatures Caves and was created by Slink from Slink’s Burrow Online.

I would highly recommend this COB for anyone playing Creatures 1. It is sometimes difficult to locate Grendels, because they do not appear in the observation kit. Selecting a Grendel also allows monitoring of health and needs: Something I plan on checking frequently to make sure that Zorich is enjoying his life!

Perhaps even more important is the a COB which makes Grendels friendly towards Norns. In C1, Grendels are pre-programmed to hit Norns anytime they come in contact with them. Even when a Grendel wants to be affectionate towards a Norn, there is a code in the game which forces them to be violent. Hence, Grendels have gotten a very nasty reputation mainly stemming from something they aren’t even in control of! This COB can also be downloaded from Creatures Caves, and it was created by Kinnison from Kinnison’s Creatures Pages.

The result? Onessa and Zorich have struck up a wonderful friendship! They’re virtually inseparable, even though I would love for Onessa to join the rest of the Norns and pass along her genes. They are very affectionate, which just goes to show how non-violent Grendels usually are. Their appearance might be a little scary to any newcomers, but even in Albia, judging a book by its cover doesn’t pay off!

3 Comments
« Previous Post | Next Post »